Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,

Could you please tell me if I used the phrasal verb correctly in my sample sentences?

1. Last year, I was told off by my boss when I took it upon myself to transfer our office savings account to other bank without consulting her.

2. One of our tenants has taken it upon himself in the last month to repair the water heater without telling us.

3. I was thanked by my wife for taking it on myself buying her a return plane ticket.

Thanks a lot

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi teachers,

Could you please tell me if I used the phrasal verb correctly in my sample sentences?

1. Last year, I was told off by my boss when I took it upon myself to transfer our office savings account to the/an other bank without consulting her.
Yes.

2. One of our tenants has taken it upon himself in the last month to repair the water heater without telling us.
Yes.

3. I was thanked by my wife for taking it on myself buying her a return plane ticket.
Not really. This doesn't require an effort over and above what one would normally expect. And that's necessary to use "take it upon oneself".
Also, it sounds odd referring to yourself like that - it's normally used to refer to other people.
Thanks a lot
R

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Raymott: Also, it sounds odd referring to yourself like that - it's normally used to refer to other people.

From this I infer that Raymott is somewhat younger than I, because I use it, and so do some of my slightly younger colleagues, so I think it may be an age thing. I would use it only in fairly formal situations, not in that of being thanked by my wife - but then even old-fashioned 5jj wouldn't use a passive there.

I might use it talking to a my boss:

I took it upon myself to authorise John's holiday application (while you were away).

As an alternative, I might say:

I took the liberty of authorising...

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.

So this phrasal verb is definitely formal.
Can I use it like these?

*She told the doctor that she didn't dare to take it upon herself to give her son a medicine without consulting.

*She's been reprimanded in the last month for taking it upon herself to sign their office supplies requisition.

Thank you

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.

So this phrasal verb is definitely formal.
Can I use it like these?

*She told the doctor that she didn't dare to take it upon herself to give her son a medicine without consulting him."

*She's been reprimanded in the last month for taking it upon herself to sign their office supplies requisition."

Thank you
You've used it correctly in both sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.