Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

Meanwhile, the company can be satisfied with its struggle against its competitors being done by others. And yet, a political escalation in the region could affect the company's sales.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Meanwhile, the company can be satisfied with its struggle against its competitors being done by others. And yet, a political escalation in the region could affect the company's sales.

I don't understand the part in bold. Can you say that another way?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I don't understand the part in bold. Can you say that another way?

Perhaps I should have written: "being waged by others?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Do you mean that other companies are waging a war against the company's competitors on its behalf?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Do you mean that other companies are waging a war against the company's competitors on its behalf?

Other companies, government authorities etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean that the subject company has competitors, but those competitors are having problems because of other entities?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Could it be something on the lines of:

The company can derive some satisfactionfrom the fact that the struggle it is involved in against its competitors is being aided / has been joined by other companies and by government authorities.

?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Okay. Let's forget about the company. I'll try to rephrase the sentence as follows:

Meanwhile, nation X can be satisfied with its war against its enemy being waged by others [International Tribunal, for example...] . And yet, escalation in the neighboring capital could affect nation X's northern border.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it doesn't make sense.

If it's MY war, then others aren't waging it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Meanwhile, the company can be satisfied that its competitors are fighting among themselves."

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
No, it doesn't make sense.

If it's MY war, then others aren't waging it.

Barb D: You could turn directly to the writer and tell him you don't like his opinions… I've just translated his article…

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then I don't know what you want from us. You asked us to check a sentence and I told you it was illogical. Is the grammar okay? Yes, it is. Does it make sense? No, it does not.

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Then I don't know what you want from us. You asked us to check a sentence and I told you it was illogical. Is the grammar okay? Yes, it is. Does it make sense? No, it does not.

Since I've registered here (and especially in 'Ask a Teacher' Forum) as a Hebrew speaker and a learner, I assumed it was understandable that I was, in the first place, interested in correcting my English mistakes. However, I apologize for not making myself clear. Nice talking with you!

Last edited:

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Does the sentence make sense if I phrase it like this:

Meanwhile, the company can be satisfied with its struggle against its competitors being waged on its behalf by others. And yet, a political escalation in the region could affect the company's sales.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The problem remains the pronoun "its." You can say "the" struggle being waged on its behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.