• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Sentence structure

Please help me with these sentences. I can’t figure out what is wrong with these sentences. If you help me diagram these sentences that would be of a great help!

Your call has improved a lot than before." - What is wrong with this sentence?
    Adding pleases to your sentences will sound as a request instead of a command.– Should be “as” or “like”?
    You confirmed if you are talking to that customer only at the end of the call from your notes, which was disappointing.
    You confirmed if you are talking to that customer from your notes only at the end of the call, which was disappointing.
    Which one is correct?
    Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Sentence structure

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    Please help me with these sentences. I can’t figure out what is wrong with these sentences. If you help me diagram these sentences that would be of a great help!

Your call has improved a lot than before." - What is wrong with this sentence?
    Adding pleases to your sentences will sound as a request instead of a command.– Should be “as” or “like”?
    You confirmed if you are talking to that customer only at the end of the call from your notes, which was disappointing.
    You confirmed if you are talking to that customer from your notes only at the end of the call, which was disappointing.
    Which one is correct?
    Thank you!

1. “Your calls have improved a lot. than before."
    When we used "improved", it's obvious that there is a comparison of something now compared to what it was like before.
    (I guess these sentences are all criticisms of a Call Centre employee, or something similar).
    2. Adding pleases to your sentences will make them sound like a request rather than a command.
    3. "From your notes, it appears that it was only at the end of your call that you confirmed that you were talking to that [specific] customer. This is disappointing."
    This one is difficult to understand. I think it means that the employee should have established that he was talking to Mr Smith early in the call, rather than waiting until the end of the call.
    I don't like "confirmed if".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Sentence structure

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    1. “Your calls have improved a lot. than before."
    When we used "improved", it's obvious that there is a comparison of something now compared to what it was like before.
    (I guess these sentences are all criticisms of a Call Centre employee, or something similar).
    2. Adding pleases to your sentences will make them sound like a request rather than a command.
    3. "From your notes, it appears that it was only at the end of your call that you confirmed that you were talking to that [specific] customer. This is disappointing."
    This one is difficult to understand. I think it means that the employee should have established that he was talking to Mr Smith early in the call, rather than waiting until the end of the call.
    I don't like "confirmed if".
    Raymott, thank you for your help!

yes, you are correct in understanding that this is a feedback given a call center employee after monitoring the call.

I wanted to tell the employee that his call was much better than the previous audit. In this case, is it okay to say "your call has improved a lot than before." Or you think it is a redundancy.

Can we use "instead" or should we only use "rather" in this scenario?
    Can we use "as" or should we only use "like" in this scenario?

You are correct, but your sentence does not mean what I am trying to convey.

What I am trying to say is, the employee only verified the customer's name at the end of the call. Please tell me if I am clear now and if my initial sentence was correct.

Thanks for your help!