Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 385
    #1

    She is quite a catch!

    She is quite a catch!

    What is the meaning of ''catch in the sentence above?

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 338
    #2

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mckane View Post
    She is quite a catch!

    What is the meaning of ''catch in the sentence above?

    *** NOT A TEACHER ***


    A catch is a person considered desirable as a partner or spouse.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Imagine a fisherman standing on a riverbank with a fishing rod hoping to catch a ... mermaid?

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Imagine a fisherman standing on a riverbank with a fishing rod hoping to catch a ... mermaid?

    b
    It's a riddle to me why the mermaid has appealed to men so much throughout the history... How is that creature better than a real woman with everything in its place??

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #5

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    It's a riddle to me why the mermaid has appealed to men so much throughout the history... How is that creature better than a real woman with everything in its place??
    A mermaid is not better than a real woman. But mermaids were invented by sailors who were away from real women for a long time while at sea. So, the prospect of coming across a mermaid at sea was more likely than discovering a real woman.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A mermaid is not better than a real woman. But mermaids were invented by sailors who were away from real women for a long time while at sea. So, the prospect of coming across a mermaid at sea was more likely than discovering a real woman.
    Perhaps the American slang expression 'a piece of tail' originated with frustrated seamen in search for a mermaid?

    Answers.com - What does tail mean in slang

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #7

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Perhaps the American slang expression 'a piece of tail' originated with frustrated seamen in search for a mermaid?
    If so, thereby hangs one.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If so, thereby hangs one.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Incidentally, I have just noticed that I wrote, "in search for a mermaid." I appear to have conflated to search for, the search for and in search of, about which we had a discussion on another thread very recently.

    This should give encouragement to learners who sometimes feel like giving up. I am a native speaker and an experienced teacher. I just wrote something that I would not accept from a student. Perhaps we teachers are a little too hard sometimes.

    The annoying thing is that it seemed quite acceptable when I wrote it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 385
    #10

    Re: She is quite a catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If so, thereby hangs one.
    Excuse me, what does that mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] catch one doing
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2010, 09:50
  2. [General] capture bang to rights = catch with the goods,catch red-handed
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-May-2010, 05:42
  3. [Idiom] catch it
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2008, 14:55
  4. Is it a catch??
    By anreak in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2008, 21:59
  5. catch up
    By becks in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2007, 01:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •