• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

fixings

"He said we're going to have a turkey with all the fixings for dinner." Is it some kind of edibles you put inside or on top of a dish? Is it just a word that means evrything that goes along with having a meal like hapkins and candles?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: fixings

'All the fixings' is an AE term for what in BE we call 'all the trimmings'.

A turkey dinner in the UK includes chipolata sausages, bacon rolls, bread sauce and cranberry sauce.

Napkins and candles are not included in this phrase.

Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 21-Nov-2010 at 18:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If it's in reference to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, then it's going to include things like mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, something with sweet potatoes or yams (I never can remember the difference), stuffing/dressing, cranberry relish, and whatever else that family serves. That's what I just got at the grocery store today for mine, anyway, and we're pretty traditional.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    If it's in reference to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, then it's going to include things like mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, something with sweet potatoes or yams (I never can remember the difference), stuffing/dressing, cranberry relish, and whatever else that family serves. That's what I just got at the grocery store today for mine, anyway, and we're pretty traditional.
    Could I say that white wine is a nice fixing to fish?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, wine is not part of the fixings. You can say wine is an accompaniment to fish.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    No, wine is not part of the fixings. You can say wine is an accompaniment to fish.
    So it's foods that go with the main dish?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    So it's foods that go with the main dish?
    That's it!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    'All the fixings' is an AE term for what in BE we call 'all the trimmings'.

A turkey dinner in the UK includes chipolata sausages, bacon rolls, bread sauce and cranberry sauce.

Rover
    I know that Thanksgiving is sort of a slap in the face to UK citizens, but really, must you disparage our traditional turkey dinner in such a fashion?! (Sausage? Bacon rolls? No green bean casserole or mashed potatoes and gravy? )

In AmE, "fixings" refers to traditional food items that accompany either a meal or a single food item. For example, in many restaurants if you order a baked potato "with all the fixings," you'll get a delicious baked spud swathed in butter, sour cream, bacon bits, chives, and shredded cheese. A "country breakfast" with all the fixings will include several types of meat (sausage, bacon, etc), eggs, hash brown potatoes along with biscuits and gravy. At some restaurants, even a simple hamburger can be ordered with "all the fixings" which could mean everything in the kitchen, from mustard and ketchup to fried egg and avocado slices.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I know that Thanksgiving is sort of a slap in the face to UK citizens, but really, must you disparage our traditional turkey dinner in such a fashion?! (Sausage? Bacon rolls? No green bean casserole or mashed potatoes and gravy? )

In AmE, "fixings" refers to traditional food items that accompany either a meal or a single food item. For example, in many restaurants if you order a baked potato "with all the fixings," you'll get a delicious baked spud swathed in butter, sour cream, bacon bits, chives, and shredded cheese. A "country breakfast" with all the fixings will include several types of meat (sausage, bacon, etc), eggs, hash brown potatoes along with biscuits and gravy. At some restaurants, even a simple hamburger can be ordered with "all the fixings" which could mean everything in the kitchen, from mustard and ketchup to fried egg and avocado slices.
    Can we order pizza with all the fixings? Would that mean a pizza with all the toppings?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, pizzas have toppings. A hamburger place might have a "fixings" bar with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cheese, ketchup, mustard, etc.