Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
...but every time I'm trying to say "can't" as [kɑːnt] it comes out with [ʌ] instead and I get myself into trouble, so I have to say it differently.

I'd like to ask which is the lesser evil: to say [kæ̱nt] or ['kænɔt]?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
...but every time I'm trying to say "can't" as [kɑːnt] it comes out with [ʌ] instead and I get myself into trouble, so I have to say it differently.

['kænɔt], though[kænt] is fine in AmE.

But, if you are having problems with this, then you must be having problems with many other pairs - ant/aunt, ban/barn, cat/cart, bad/barred, pat/part, etc. Are you sure that a tiny little part of you isn't enjoying a frisson of satisfaction at getting this particular word wrong?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
['kænɔt], though[kænt] is fine in AmE.

But, if you are having problems with this, then you must be having problems with many other pairs - ant/aunt, ban/barn, cat/cart, bad/barred, pat/part, etc. Are you sure that a tiny little part of you isn't enjoying a frisson of satisfaction at getting this particular word wrong?
Doesn't it imply he's having trouble with barn/bun, cart/cut, part/putt ...?
He can say 'can'; he can't say 'can't'

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

You're eventually going to have to learn to say "can't".
Well, it's simple. You are Italian, so you know how to say double letters (at least consonants). Just give the ɑːa double or triple value, and say /kɑɑɑ:nt/ or even /ka:ənt/, as we Aussies say anyway.

PS: Or 'carnt' (with non-rhotic 'r'), or 'cannnt' - any trick that makes you prolong the word would do.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Doesn't it imply he's having trouble with barn/bun, cart/cut, part/putt ...?
He can say 'can'; he can't say 'can't'

You are right. Thank you.

alikim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
Thanks guys! I'll stick to ['kænɔt] for the time being

... Just give the ɑːa double or triple value, and say /kɑɑɑ:nt/ or even /ka:ənt/, as we Aussies say anyway.
PS: Or 'carnt' (with non-rhotic 'r'), or 'cannnt' - any trick that makes you prolong the word would do.

all these tricks like explicitly saying /kɑɑɑ:nt/ will only make it worse as it's obvious what I'm trying to avoid, and you Aussies will not just let it by

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks guys! I'll stick to ['kænɔt] for the time being

all these tricks like explicitly saying /kɑɑɑ:nt/ will only make it worse as it's obvious what I'm trying to avoid, and you Aussies will not just let it by
Really? How often has that happened?
If people down in Sydney are really that picky, how are they going to react when you say 'cannot' every time you mean can't. If you said /kɑɑɑ:nt/, I would simply assume you were trying to pronounce it properly, as non-native speakers usually try to do with all words.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

Why is this a problem? I'm sure the Australians can understand you.

Status
Not open for further replies.