Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am teach English reading. And there are some articles in our textbook which are extracted from Chapters in the Bible, such as Genesis, the birth of Jesus Christ. I'd like to enrich relative background knowledge. But I don't know which Chapters are most valuable and benefical for students. There aren't much periods in this term. Would you like to make some recommendatations on reading Bible?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am teach English reading. And there are some articles in our textbook which are extracted from Chapters in the Bible, such as Genesis, the birth of Jesus Christ. I'd like to enrich relative background knowledge. But I don't know which Chapters are most valuable and benefical for students. There aren't much periods in this term. Would you like to make some recommendatations on reading Bible?
It's very difficult to get a cultural background for reading the Bible because it was written over hundreds (perhaps a thousand) years, by various people of various cultures.
The Old Testament is the story of the ancient Hebrews (Jews). Christians rely mainly on the New Testament, but they retain parts of the OT in regard to the creation of the world, etc.
To know about Jesus' life, the three 'synoptic gospels' Matthew, Mark and Luke are most appropriate. These are the books that purport to give a story of his life, death and ressurrection.
After that, in the NT, come various letters written by the church fathers to their congregations. They are less relevant for a background context.

There is a lot written about the Bible (and how to read it) on the internet, but very little of it is objective. Most sites are either overtly preaching (written by Christians), or overtly critical (written by atheists).

You might be interested in something like, "The complete Idiots Guide to the Bible" (Don't be put off by the title! :))
eBooks.com - The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible eBook

You could look at some of these sites, which at least aren't extremist:
A Little Bible Handbook
http://www.chinesestudentsusa.net/bible/Bible_Guide_Easy_Print_English.pdf
The Seekers' Guide to the Bible - Part One
Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(This is just the result of a quick search, weeding out some of the rabid fringe on both sides)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just one point. Christians retain ALL of the Hebrew Bible as their "Old Testament."

Christians order it differently, so that it ends with the prophetic books which they believe point to the coming of Jesus.

To the original poster's point, reading the early books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus) gives a perspective on many of the stories that the West carries as its cultural heritage. And the Gospels tell the stories of what Jesus did and taught.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd add

1 Samuel chapters 17, 18, 28, 31

2 Samuel 1, 2, 6, 7, 11

1 Kings chapters 3 and 6

the Book of Job

Psalms 23, 27, 51, 121, 150

the Song of Songs.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you like to make some recommendatations on reading Bible?

Am I the only one here who thinks that this request should be answered only by giving the op some useful information on the Biblical English, not the Bible itself, for the forums are dedicated to English Language, not to religional matters ? I believe that there are tons of sites and forums about the Bible on the net which the op make good use of.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Am I the only one here who thinks that this request should be answered only by giving the op some useful information on the Biblical English, not the Bible itself, for the forums are dedicated to English Language, not to religional matters ? I believe that there are tons of sites and forums about the Bible on the net which the op make good use of.
The Bible has had an enormous influence on the English language and culture. Knowing and understanding certain stories and other texts from the Bible is important for a person who wants to study English thoroughly. Nobody is discussing religion here.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Knowing and understanding certain stories and other texts from the Bible is important for a person who wants to study English thoroughly.

It is okay giving some background if it is about some specific examples such as the idioms or the proverbs having roots in the Bible and are used in English , but other than that I disagree.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It is okay giving some background if it is about some specific examples such as the idioms or the proverbs having roots in the Bible and are used in English , but other than that I disagree.
It's not only about proverbs and style. It's simply that people in the Western world (many of them) know the Bible at least to some extent. It's common knowledge so they can use it in their speech. I would say some parts of the Bible have become a part of language sensu lato. Not just fixed expressions, but whole concepts which people use to communicate. Without knowing the Bible, one will find it difficult to understand English art, English jokes, English politics and so on.

It's not necessary to communicate in English of course. But it's certainly necessary to get profound understanding of English.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a poster asks about current use of a phrase, or something from a TV show, or about pop music, we answer.

There is no reason we should not share other cultural information as well.

The English language is greatly influenced by Shakespeare and by the King James Bible. That is inescapable.

Also inescapable is that for one to have a grounding in western culture one needs to know the stories from the Bible. No one is here saying you must believe in Jesus or you must become Jewish. No one is pushing religion.

But you can not understand the language apart from its history and influences. The Bible is an influence on western culture and the English language.

If I say "prodigal son" it means something to a native speaker. We can't pretend to answer questions about English and not answer those about the influences on the language.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not only about proverbs and style. It's simply that people in the Western world (many of them) know the Bible at least to some extent. It's common knowledge so they can use it in their speech. I would say some parts of the Bible have become a part of language sensu lato. Not just fixed expressions, but whole concepts which people use to communicate. Without knowing the Bible, one will find it difficult to understand English art, English jokes, English politics and so on.

It's not necessary to communicate in English of course. But it's certainly necessary to get profound understanding of English.

I agree completely. I am a born-again atheist, but I could not have worked as a teacher of English language and literature without a good knowledge of the King James Bible. I don't believe a word of it, but then I don't believe a word of the plays/stories of Shakespeare and Dickens. The Bible sits on my bookshelf along with my Shakespeare and Dickens. (And I capitalise the B just as I would the first letter of the Koran/Qur'ān, Torah, etc, not from any sense of awe, but from simple respect for people who hold those books holy.)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I just thought I would find it strange if someone wanted to learn Arabic without reading at least some suras of Qur'an.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
/begin off topic

BC, what does suras translate as?

/end off topic

Esther is an entertaining read. Did anyone mention that one yet?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I have referred to the Qur'ān I have always used the untranslated word Sura. I think this is normal in BrE.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd add

1 Samuel chapters 17, 18, 28, 31

2 Samuel 1, 2, 6, 7, 11

1 Kings chapters 3 and 6

the Book of Job

Psalms 23, 27, 51, 121, 150

the Song of Songs.

Is the last one you listed Song of Solomon?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But I don't speak Arabic, I don't know how to translate it... Hopefully, our Arabic members will help!

As I understand it, Arab is the adjective for the people and countries who consider themselves thus; Arabic is the language. So, I think your sentence should read: Hopefully our Arabic-speaking members will help.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Esther is an entertaining read. Did anyone mention that one yet?
Excellent choice. Another great story about women is the Book of Ruth.

Status
Not open for further replies.