Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am teaching English reading. And we'll learn an article about Western Festivals and Holidays. Would you like to make recommendations about the most important festivals in Western countries, Besides Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Halloween and New Year's Eve/Day

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am teaching English reading. And we'll learn an article about Western Festivals and Holidays. Would you like to make recommendations about the most important festivals in Western countries, Besides Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day?
Most countries also have a national day. For example Australia Day is 1st January. Also, a lot of countries have a day for remembering their fallen soldiers (Australia and NZ have ANZAC Day, 25th April).
Another common day is Labour Day, 1st May, which commemorates gains made by workers over their bosses.
(These are all non-religious 'holidays')

Also note that Thanksgiving is mainly (?only) American.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am teaching English reading. And we'll learn read/study an article about Western Festivals and Holidays. Would you like to make recommendations about the most important festivals in Western countries, Besides Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day?

And remember that many of these are public holidays/national holidays/state holidays bank holidays (BrE) but not really what I would describe as festivals.

Some of them, such as Valentine's Day, are not even holidays.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Most countries also have a national day. For example Australia Day is 1st January. Also, a lot of countries have a day for remembering their fallen soldiers (Australia and NZ have ANZAC Day, 25th April).
Another common day is Labour Day, 1st May, which commemorates gains made by workers over their bosses.
(These are all non-religious 'holidays')

Also note that Thanksgiving is mainly (?only) American.
It's celebrated in Canada, as well, but on a different day from the US.
As fivejedjon has observed, many of the aforementioned aren't necessarily festivals. The biggest Western festival that I know is Brazilian Carnaval. Of couse, many Asian festivals, such as Chinese New Year, are also celebrated in the West.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
And remember that many of these are public holidays/national holidays/state holidays bank holidays (BrE) but not really what I would describe as festivals.

Thanks very much.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If you have a woman in your life, she thinks it is. ;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
New Year's Eve is a huge occasion in the US. The major celebrations begin in the later evening (say, around 8 or 9 o'clock). Folks gather either at bars or restaurants or hotel ballrooms or at friends' homes and partake of snack foods and lots of liquor. Unfortunately, getting drunk is something of a New Year's Eve tradition. (I only say "unfortunately" for those who attempt to drive after drinking.) The party atmosphere heightens until about 11:55PM, when most venues will have a TV or big screen tuned in to one of the official countdowns, awaiting the official "ball drop" in Times Square.

St. Patrick's Day (March 17) is not a national holiday in the US, but it is considered to be an occasion to celebrate in may areas of the country. Whether or not they have any Irish blood, most folks wear green during the day, and every restaurant/bar/pub in town serves green beer and corned beef and cabbage (at discounted prices!). :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.