English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Our social security is deterioriting.

In the above sentence, can the word "deterioriting" be replaced by "degenerating" or "worsening" ?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

contiluo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Re: deteriorate

I have a furhter question about this thread as written. The following sentences express the same idea. Which is acceptable or better?
In #2 and #3, which is acceptable, ever or even?

(1) As our society has high crime rate, it shows the police are ever more important.
(2) As our social order is deteriorating, the police are ever more important.
(3) As our society's safety deteriorates, it shows the police are even more important.
(4) As social order deteriorates, the police become more important than ever.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: deteriorate

I have a furhter question about this thread as written. The following sentences express the same idea. Which is acceptable or better?
In #2 and #3, which is acceptable, ever or even?

(1) As our society has a high crime rate, it shows the police are ever more important. :?:
(2) As our social order is deteriorating, the police are ever more important.:tick: - but to me it would sound better if you used a 'developing' verb like 'are becoming' or 'are growing'
(3) As our society's safety deteriorates, it shows the police are even more important. :?:
(4) As social order deteriorates, the police become more important than ever.:tick:

I have doubts about 1 and 3, because strictly the 'it' in the second clause needs something to refer back to: in 1, 'the rise shows', in 3 the deterioration shows'.

But, especially in spoken English a speaker doesn't always work out the way an utterance hangs together in the terms of written grammar before starting, so often changes structure after the first few words. So an examiner would expect something like 'The deterioration in our social order shows that...' or 'The rise in the crime rate is a sign of...', but a speaker might well produce your 1 and 3.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.