• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • UK

using passive

Hello again teachers,

I wasn't used to using passives when studying. I'd like to ask if thank and congratulate are used in passives and if the sentences are correct.

>I was pissed off the other day by a technician when he rudely answered my question.

>Yesterday, I was thanked for repairing our portable heater when it was cut out.

>We are being congratulated by our friends for my wife pregnancy after trying to conceive for 8 years. When I'm asked if I like a boy or a girl I'm telling them that whatever will be given by Him for us as long as a healthy baby.

Thanks so much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: using passive

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Hello again teachers,

I wasn't used to using passives when studying. I'd like to ask if thank and congratulate are used in passives and if the sentences are correct.

>I was pissed off the other day by a technician when he rudely answered my question. Correct, but informal. Not to be used in polite circles.

>Yesterday, I was thanked for repairing our portable heater when it was cut out. Yes, though being thanked (passive) is normally used only in fairly formal situations. If it was your wife who thanked you, then the passive would sound very stilted.

>We are being congratulated by our friends for on my wife's pregnancy after trying to conceive for 8 years. When I'm asked if I'd like a boy or a girl I'm telling them that I will be happy with whatever will be is given by Him for to us as long as the a healthy baby is healthy.
    Even with my corrections, the last sentence sounds unnatural. Most native speakers do not use the passive much in everyday conversation. We'd normally say something like:

Our friends are congratulating us on my wife's preganancy after 8 years of trying (to conceive). When people ask me if I'd like a boy or (a) girl, I tell them I'll be happy with whatever God gives/grants/sends us, so long as the baby is healthy.