Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    Grammar correct

    I hope fivejedjon is not going to be mad at me because I've been asking many "already questions" lately.

    "I've been hearing a lot of good things about your friends. It's about time that we met them already." Is it grammatically correct?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I hope fivejedjon is not going to be mad at me because I've been asking many "already questions" lately. Me?

    "I've been hearing a lot of good things about your friends. It's about time that we met them already." Is it grammatically correct?
    It's not correct in my dialect, BrE, but I have gained the impression from American films that it may be correct among Jewish speakers of AmE.

    We'll have to wait to hear from native speakers of AmE for the definitive answer.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I hope fivejedjon is not going to be mad at me because I've been asking many "already questions" lately.
    p.s. This is a clearly different question, and you have posted it on a new thread. Even I can't be mad at you for that - it's the correct procedure.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's not correct in my dialect, BrE, but I have gained the impression from American films that it may be correct among Jewish speakers of AmE.

    We'll have to wait to hear from native speakers of AmE for the definitive answer.
    Why "Jewish speakers of AmE"?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Why "Jewish speakers of AmE"?
    Because some Jewish Americans come from families which originally spoke Yiddish. Yiddish influenced the English of some of these speakers.

    Such constructions as "honest she ain't" in informal conversation were, I believe common among people with a Yiddish-speaking background. Some of them have passed into mainstram AmE, and some even into BrE usage, thanks to the widespread influence of American film and TV.

    I think that the position of already in Ostap's example, unnatural in BrE, may have originated among Jewish speakers of AmE, and it may be a result of the influence of Yiddish. However, I do not know much about either Yiddish or AmE, which is why I said to Ostap that we need to wait for native speakers of AmE for the definitive answer.

  4. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #6

    Re: Grammar correct

    My first thought was that the sentence sounded fine, but as fivejedjon said, using "already" like that is characteristic of American Jewish English, in my limited experience.

    "Alright, already" is perhaps the phrase familiar to most.

    What a great phrase, by the way. Beautiful, efficient language to my ears. Probably I have have watched too many Seinfeld episodes. Sorry folks.

  5. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #7

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Because some Jewish Americans come from families which originally spoke Yiddish. Yiddish influenced the English of some of these speakers.

    Such constructions as "honest she ain't" in informal conversation were, I believe common among people with a Yiddish-speaking background. Some of them have passed into mainstram AmE, and some even into BrE usage, thanks to the widespread influence of American film and TV.

    I think that the position of already in Ostap's example, unnatural in BrE, may have originated among Jewish speakers of AmE, and it may be a result of the influence of Yiddish. However, I do not know much about either Yiddish or AmE, which is why I said to Ostap that we need to wait for native speakers of AmE for the definitive answer.
    5JJ is on target. There are many other cases of mordant syntax that have entered English from Yiddish. While Ostap's sentence isn't correct in AmE, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if I heard it in NY.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #8

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    5JJ is on target. There are many other cases of mordant syntax that have entered English from Yiddish. While Ostap's sentence isn't correct in AmE, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if I heard it in NY.
    How would you put the second part of the sentence to be correct in AmE? Does "already" go between "we" and "met"? "We already met them"?
    Last edited by ostap77; 22-Nov-2010 at 22:40.

  6. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #9

    Re: Grammar correct

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How would you put the second part of the sentence to be correct in AmE? Does "already" go between "we" and "met"? "We already met them"?
    Totally different meaning.

    Isn't it time we met them, already? (In my opinion, we should meet.)
    Alright, already! (In my opinion, we've had enough of this. Let's move on.)
    So get on with it, already! (In my opinion, you're taking too long and need to do it now and stop taking about it.

    We [have] already met them. -- Simple statement of fact that a meeting has occurred in the past.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  7. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #10

    Re: Grammar correct

    /A learner/

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "I've been hearing a lot of good things about your friends. It's about time that we met them already." Is it grammatically correct?
    According to my understanding of some grammar books I've read, there is no place for both "about" and "already" in this phrase in which the past subjunctive is used to emphasise that I ought to go to meet them immediately.

    It's time I met them.

    In addition, why the PP Continuous has been used and not the PP.

    I've heard a lot of good things about your friends. It's time I met them.

    Also I wouldn't use the phrase in such case.

    I'd say

    I've heard a lot of good things about your friends. I am sorry I haven't met them yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] correct grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2009, 22:04
  2. correct grammar
    By bilch-mouw in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2008, 23:46
  3. Please correct my grammar
    By Zoe2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2008, 12:14
  4. correct grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Oct-2007, 08:11
  5. correct grammar
    By deer in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2004, 19:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •