Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
UK
Hello all, I have just passed a Tesol course and, with my girlfriend, am looking to teach abroad. I am a UK citizen and am open to working pretty much anywhere in the world. The problem is that I don't have a degree and am looking for advice/information as to whether this will prove a problem in terms of finding work. Should I be looking to organise work before I fly or are we better off finding work in person? Will a lack of degree inhibit me getting a working visa? Any advice/information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Should I be looking to organise work before I fly or are we better off finding work in person? 2. Will a lack of degree inhibit me getting a working visa? Any advice/information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, benwise.

Sorry you have had to wait so long for an answer. I don't think mine is going to be very helpful, but it's a start. I'll answer the second question first, as the answer affects the first.

2. Yes, the lack of degree will affect your chances of getting a visa in some countries. You must check this before you jet off anywhere, or you may find that you have wasted an air fare.

1. The answer to this is very personal. There is no doubt that in some places arriving in a city and doing the rounds will land you a job. It's a good idea to have a carefully prepared c.v./resume to leave at each school. It helps if you can find out the name of the Director of Studies or person responsible for recruiting so that you can write your covering letter to a named peson, and put his/her name on the envelope you leave.

When you arrive at a school to drop off your application, be clean, sober, and reasonably dressed. The person you see at the desk may be the person responsible for recruiting, and first impressions are important. Be prepared. There is just an off-chance that you may be asked if you are available for interview on the spot. It's unlikely, but you don't want to miss any chance.

Whether or not you actually do try to find work in person depends a lot on your financial resources and time constraints. Can you afford to spend a couple of weeks or more in the foreign city while you are looking? Have you got the fare home if you are unsuccessful?

If you apply from home, you can send off several email applications in the time it takes you to visit one school - and you can send to several countries unless you have fixed on one.

So, there are some starting points.

Good luck.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What areas did you have in mind? In addition to countries where a degree is required, areas where there is a lot of competition for jobs may also prove more difficult without one, so I'd check that first too.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Most countries require a degree for a work permit. Of course, being a UK citizen, you can work anywhere in the EU without one, so I'd suggest the new EU countries would be a good place to start looking.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Most countries require a degree for a work permit. Of course, being a UK citizen, you can work anywhere in the EU without one, so I'd suggest the new EU countries would be a good place to start looking.
As a UK citizen, benwise has the right to work in any EU country. He does not have the automatic right to any job. It may well be that individual member countries insist on a certain level of qualification for entry into certain trades or professions, So long as they apply the same regulations and restrictions to citizens of all states as they do to their own, this is permissible.

For example, as a British citizen I have the right to live and work in any EU country, but I would have problems if I wanted to work as a surgeon.

I do not know how EU regulations affect teachers, but benwise would do well not to assume that he has the automatic right to teach in all EU countries simply because he has a Cert TESOL.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
No, but to my knowledge, the degree requirement is rarely a teaching-specific requirement in countries where it's required.

mdan1984

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I have taught in China for 2 years already and never was asked for a degree. Now if I tried to get a work visa, then they want a degree. Now there are also places in China that will make fake degrees for you, but I never go that route. I just am honest and say I don't have a degree, and quite frankly I have seen many teachers that DON"T have a degree actually teach better than those with.

My wife is Chinese and has a LOT of contacts and so it is EASY EASY for me to get an under the table job teaching English with no degree. The only problem is that I would be under a business visa that doesn't actually allow for me to work.

At any rate, I have done it for 2 years and love it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
quite frankly I have seen many teachers that DON"T have a degree actually teach better than those with.

You say you have been teaching in China for just two years, so how many teachers have you studied and what methods did you use to arrive at this?

mdan1984

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
You say you have been teaching in China for just two years, so how many teachers have you studied and what methods did you use to arrive at this?

Hi there. Hope things are well with you.
Not sure what you mean by how many teachers have I studied. I don't study teachers. I just work with them all the time. As an English teacher you often come in contact and relate to the other English teachers that either are at the same school you are or just elsewhere.
And what methods did I use to arrive to............? What.
Be more specific and I will give you a specific answer.

God Bless
Regards

Michael

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To make this sort of assessment, there has to be a method; otherwise, it's difficult to interpret. What proportion of teachers without degrees are better, and in what ways, than teachers with? How did you assess this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.