Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A certain agent wanted to get to a certain top secret place. (His friend worked there)
But before he got there he was checked many times by the guards.
He finally sat in this man's office a half hour after going through the identification gauntlet.

I understand that it took him half an hour to get to this office and that this identification process was very tiring for him. (identification gauntlet)

Is my interpretation correct?

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

He finally sat in this man's office a half hour after going through the identification gauntlet.

I'd say

He finally sat in this man's office a half an hour after having passed the identification gauntlet.
It means that he was identified after which he finally sat in the office for half an hour.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi

A certain agent wanted to get to a certain top secret place. (His friend worked there)
But before he got there he was checked many times by the guards.

I understand that it took him half an hour to get to this office and that this identification process was very tiring for him. (identification gauntlet)

Is my interpretation correct?

It's exactly what you said above: he was checked repeatedly be different guards. You are checked here and allowed to proceed. You are checked at the next place, and allowed to proceed. You are checked at the NEXT place and allowed to proceed.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
And all this "checking" process lasted "half an hour"?

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

Why not

He finally sat in this man's office after going through the identification gauntlet for half an hour.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.