Status
Not open for further replies.

Danman

Member Type
Student or Learner
I wrote:
"Imagine you would have to go to another country and learn German."

Now my english teacher corrected it to "you had to"

But, I'm talking about the future not the past.

Secondly,
is it: I read some books at the weekend.

or
I read some books this weekend.

Or is it just a personal preference? British english confuses the heck out of me. :p

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wrote:

Now my [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE] English teacher corrected it to "you had to"

We are using the so-called past tense here to indicate remoteness from reality

The reality is 'You have to go', and this is not the case in an imagined situation.

Secondly,

or

Or is it just a personal preference?YES

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I wrote:

Past tense refers to future time. Your teacher is correct.

Secondly,

or

Or is it just a personal preference? British english confuses the heck out of me. :p
They mean the same thing.

British english confuses the heck out of me. :p
You do not say that! :)

Danman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Evidently a lot of Americans get that wrong, haha. :-D

I've never been corrected on that (and that after 2 years of college).

edit: Say what? ... "I'm moving house" is confusing! :p

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Past tense refers to future time. Your teacher is correct.

The teacher is indeed correct, but the statement, "Past tense refers to future time," could be a little confusing.

The past tense can distance a situation in:

vividness/time:
A nurse walks into a room and...
A nurse walked into a room and ...

directness:
I wonder if you have a moment?
I wondered if you had a moment?

reality/factuality
The children are here.
I wish the children were here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Danman: British english confuses the heck out of me.

You do not say that! :)
Why not? It confuses the heck out of me sometimes and I've been speaking it for over sixty years and teaching it for over forty.

I accept that 'confuse the heck out of' is a rather informal way of expressing the thought.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
The teacher is indeed correct, but the statement, "Past tense refers to future time," could be a little confusing.

The past tense can distance a situation in:

vividness/time:
A nurse walks into a room and...
A nurse walked into a room and ...

directness:
I wonder if you have a moment?
I wondered if you had a moment?

reality/factuality
The children are here.
I wish the children were here.

Thanks for the lesson. :up:
I thought I was in your bad books. Where am I? ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for the lesson. :up:
I thought I was in your bad books. Where am I? ;-)
Along with any other poster when you give helpful answers to questions:).

Incidentally, Danman, I should have added to my last post that I was not saying that Corum was wrong. The so-called past tense can refer to the future, and frequently does in so-called 2nd conditional sentences such as:

It would be a miracle if he finished by next week.

I simply felt that the words "Past tense refers to future time," might be interpreted, incorrectly, by some readers as a general rule.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Along with any other poster when you give helpful answers to questions

I am bending over backwards to do my best, but what happens if I am wrong next time? Will you hate me? Is it not the good intentions that count when you devote your time to sorting out other people's problems?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We had better stay on-topic or the moderators will, rightly, ask us to to do so.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
What is all this strange talk about past tense to indicate future? You are dealing with the conditional here, a hyothetical situation introduced by the word 'imagine': what you imagine has not happened,

"Imagine you would have to go to another country and learn German." There is nothing wrong with this sentence. 'had to' = 'müsstest' 'would' = 'würdest'. That is the difference.
Stell dir vor, du müsstest in ein anderes Land ziehen und Deutsch lernen. Just by looking at the verb form in the translation, you can easily see that you are dealing with the Konjunktiv II. There are no past tense verbs in your sentence. 'ẃould' is the past subjunctive of 'will'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is all this strange talk about past tense to indicate future? You are dealing with the conditional here, a hyothetical situation introduced by the word 'imagine': what you imagine has not happened,
Well, we tend to use the word 'conditional' of utterances containing such expressions as 'if', 'unless', 'providing', etc. The utterance we are discussing is certainly hypothetical; it is not conditional.

"Imagine you would have to go to another country and learn German." There is nothing wrong with this sentence.
There is nothing catstrophically wrong with it. It's just that 'Imagine you had to' is correct. If Danman were taking a Cambridge exam, he might lose a point if he used the first construction.

'had to' = 'müsstest' 'would' = 'würdest'. That is the difference.
It matters not a jot what happens in another language. We are talking about what happens in English.

Stell dir vor, du müsstest in ein anderes Land ziehen und Deutsch lernen. Just by looking at the verb form in the translation, you can easily see that you are dealing with the Konjunktiv II.
The English may well be rendered by the 'Konjunktiv II' in German. That is irrelevant.

There are no past tense verbs in your sentence.
:-(' You are simply wrong. 'had' is a past tense form. You might wish to call it a 'past subjunctive', but it's still a past tense form.

ẃould' is the past subjunctive of 'will'.
So, even by your analysis, it's a past tense form:roll:. Some modal constructions may well be rendered by subjunctive forms in other languages; it's not particularly helpful to think of them as subjunctive in English.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wrote:

Actually, your sentence is possible, but, lacking an appropriate time adverbial, highly unnatural (leading to your teacher's certainly well-meant correction).

If you had said something like

Imagine that, having recently got a job in Berlin, you would have to leave for Germany within a few weeks.

there would have been no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'ẃould' is the past subjunctive of 'will'.

That is not a matter of fact but opinion and should be stated as such- many people would interpret it differently.

Reactions: 5jj

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Oh yeah, you can use 'would' as the simple past of 'will', but not when you are talking about hypothetical situations, which, being such, have not happened, and can therefore not be located in past time. An example of such a sentence would be: 'Imagine you would have to go to another country and learn German.' 'Imagine' already says: this has not happened.

If you can locate this statement as something that happened somewhere in the past, then I should like to see what you call a possible future event, and how you would phrase a description of it! There is no matter of opinion here: an event that has not occurred is not the same as an event that has occurred. The former is irreal, the latter is past tense.

'would' in the sentence in question is a subjunctive. I find it strange that you should even try to dispute this, but maybe you have some kind of argument to put forward. I look forward to hearing it!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'would' in the sentence in question is a subjunctive. I find it strange that you should even try to dispute this, but maybe you have some kind of argument to put forward. I look forward to hearing it!
This has been discussed so often and in so many places that it would be tedious to start up again here. There are opinions on both sides, and nobody can 'prove' that something is or is not a subjunctive - the word itself is only a label.

Tdol's words appear reasonable: "That is not a matter of fact but opinion and should be stated as such".

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I disagree. You wish to say that a hypothetical situation can be described as something that 'happened' and that it 'happened' in the past, which is why past tense verb forms are used. By the same logic, because I use the word 'can' in 'I can' it must always mean I am putting things in tins, purely and simply because it is written the same as 'can'. You will, I hope agree, that this is not so, and that to try to describe the subjunctive as a form of past tense, because it is written the same, is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.