• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Readings

"And he also," asked the Colonel, "is a permanency - like yourself, if I may say so without offence?"
    "Indeed, he is a permanency in a very different sense from me," replied Mr. Malthus. "I have been graciously spared, but I must go at last."
    - Do you think that the underlined predicate can receive existential reading (taking into consideration the fact that once or twice a month he participates in a game in which he who turns up the ace of spades is going to die- so the message being that HE HAS BEEN SPARED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS - when he participated) or does the speaker rather wants to convey that as a result of this all HE IS STILL ALIVE - namely, he is not such a frequent visitor to this club as the others who seek death as well -
    Please, could anyone write me back? (even in your own words - I just want to know how you natives perceive it)
    Thank you
    Last edited by Kudla; 01-Dec-2010 at 21:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Readings

Could anyone help me please?
    Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kudla View Post
    "And he also," asked the Colonel, "is a permanency - like yourself, if I may say so without offence?"
    "If I may say so" implies "without offense".
    What is a permanency?
    "Indeed, he is a permanency in a very different sense from me," replied Mr. Malthus. "I have been graciously spared, but I must go at last."

- Do you think that the underlined predicate can receive existential reading
    Depends. What does it mean for a predicate to receive "existential reading"?
    (taking into consideration the fact that once or twice a month he participates in a game in which he who turns up the ace of spades is going to die- so the message being that HE HAS BEEN SPARED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS - when he participated)?
    Yes, seemingly it could mean that, since that's the only context you've given.

Or does the speaker rather wants to convey that as a result of this all HE IS STILL ALIVE - namely, he is not such a frequent visitor to this club as the others who seek death as well?
    [This sentence was too long.]
    I can't see that "I have been graciously spared" means "I am not such a frequent visitor". In that case, he has spared himself. But in the wider context of the story, it might imply that.

(He probably visits more frequently than those who have turned up the ace of spades though).
    R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Thank you very much for your reply!
    Actually, this passage comes from The Suicide Club by R. L. Stevenson so I suppose it should be correct - at least in the "world of literature".
    As for him being not such a frequent visitor this is my mistake - I didnīt mean to imply that the sentence carries such a meaning I just wanted to add some info about him - is the use of "namely" incorrect in this case?
    Permanency - according to the context I guess it means that he is a "permanent member" of this club
    by existential reading I mean that an action, event,... happened at least once in a period extending up to the present moment
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kudla View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply!
    Actually, this passage comes from The Suicide Club by R. L. Stevenson so I suppose it should be correct - at least in the "world of literature".
    As for him being not such a frequent visitor this is my mistake - I didnīt mean to imply that the sentence carries such a meaning I just wanted to add some info about him - is the use of "namely" incorrect in this case?
    No, not necessarily.

Permanency - according to the context I guess it means that he is a "permanent member" of this club
    I would have thought that to be an impossibility.

by existential reading I mean that an action, event,... happened at least once in a period extending up to the present moment
    Hmm.
    Thanks!
    R