Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

Would you please help me modify the following sentences to make them more natural? I feel a little strange about the layout of some of these sentences, for example, don't we usually put the word 'where' immediately after a place we're talking about? Such as, "the garden shed was the place where Mary kept a pig". And the word 'who' can be used to talk about animals? Thank you!

They really do focus on rescuing animals who are being abused by people, which is horrible. They also provide shelter for these animals where they're safe and they're being protected from being abused but also protected from the weather outside.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear friends,

don't we usually put the word 'where' immediately after a place we're talking about? Such as, "the garden shed was the place where Mary kept a pig"(1). And the word 'who' can be used to talk about animals? (2) Thank you!

They really do focus on rescuing animals who are being abused by people, which is horrible (3). They also provide shelter for these animals where they're safe and they're being protected from being abused but also (4) protected from the weather outside.
1. You are right, and a real purist might try to restructure your sentence: They also provide for those animals a shelter where... . However, most people would have no problems with the sentence as it is written.
2. Which is the correct pronoun for animals. However, some people anthropmorphise animals. In the context of this paragraph, who does not appear strange.
3. Although it is fairly clear what the writer intended, this sentence could be understood to mean that it is the focus on rescuing animals which is horrible. To avoid this misreading one could recast the sentence. One way would be: They really do focus on rescuing animals who are being abused by people; such abuse is horrible,
4.[STRIKE]but [/STRIKE]also - and also. The writer is adding a thought here, not making a contrast. But also would be fine in: .. and they're not only being protected from being abused but also (4) protected from the weather outside. Or: ...and they're protected not only from being abused, but also from the weather outside.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you very much, fivejedjon. Your explanation is very helpful and useful. I'm so happy that I can get so much help here, and I wish someday I could give others a little help, too. Thanks again!:lol:

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks to fivejedjon, I've tried to rewritten the original paragraph as follows:

They really do focus on rescuing animals who are being abused by people, such abuse is horrible. They also provide for these animals a shelter where they're safe and they're not only being protected from being abused but also being protected from the weather outside.

Now I have another question: what is the difference between '... who are being abused by people' and '...who are abused by people'? Would it be more natural to native speakers if the whole paragraph was recast as follows? Thank you!

They really do focus on rescuing animals who are abused by
people, such abuse is horrible. They also provide for these animals a shelter where they're safe and they're not only protected from being abused but also protected from the weather outside.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They really do focus on rescuing animals who are being abused by people, you need a semi-colon or a full stop (period) here, not a comma. such abuse is horrible. They also provide for these animals a shelter where they're safe and they're not only being protected from being abused but also being protected from the weather outside.

Now I have another question: what is the difference between '... who are being abused by people' and '...who are abused by people'? Would it be more natural to native speakers if the whole paragraph was recast as follows? Thank you!

They really do focus on rescuing animals who are abused by
people; such abuse is horrible. They also provide for these animals a shelter where they're safe and they're not only protected from being abused but also protected from the weather outside.

It's mainly a matter of what you have in your mind. The use of the present progressive gives a more immediate feel, the present simple is more general or permanent. If you are talking about a shelter that takes in animals until a home is found for them, then the progressive form may be more appropriate. If it's a permanent home for the animals, the simple form may be more appropriate.

Note that I wrote 'may be'. It's a subjective matter, decided at the moment of speaking.

salkinad

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Regarding the use of "who" for animals
British say he or she for an animal if they know exactly if it is male or female, but if thy cannot determine its sex then they just say "it".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Regarding the use of "who" for animals
British say he or she for an animal if they know exactly if it is male or female, but if thy cannot determine its sex then they just say "it".

We often use it when we know whether it's male or female- we could see a cow in a field, know the sex and still say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.