Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #1

    hereinafter referred to as

    Hello.

    Could anyone please tell me whether the following usage of "hereinafter..." is correct?

    (1) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Party A") shall ...
    (2) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter as "Party A") shall ...
    (3) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter, "Party A") shall ...

    I understand (1) is correct.
    I have seen (2) and (3) and I wondered if they are correct.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Hello.

    Could anyone please tell me whether the following usage of "hereinafter..." is correct?

    (1) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Party A") shall ...
    (2) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter as "Party A") shall ...
    (3) ABC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter, "Party A") shall ...

    I understand (1) is correct.
    I have seen (2) and (3) and I wondered if they are correct.
    #1 is the normal usage. #2 appears wrong. #3 seems fine to me, but I don't know how a lawyer would view it. This is an important point, as the word hereinafter is used almost exclusively by lawyers.

  3. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #3

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Thank you so much.
    If it is grammaticaly fine, it is enough for me, for now.

  4. Neillythere's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 537
    #4

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Hi Pinkie9
    As a retired major international contracts specialist, I would agree with fivejedjon, with the rider that 2) could potentially be acceptable in the case of Party B, if preceded by 1) for Party A, with the "referred to" being omitted to avoid duplicate wording.
    Hope this helps
    Best regards
    NT

  5. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #5

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Now I understand very well. Thank you so much!

    (I learned a new word "rider". )

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Now I understand very well. Thank you so much!

    (I learned a new word "rider". )
    And note that you learnt* it from a retired major international contracts specialist. It's not a word that you will often hear in everyday conversation.

    ~ both learned and learnt are acceptable in BrE. I believe the former is preferred in AmE; I use the latter.

  7. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    #1 is the normal usage. #2 appears wrong. #3 seems fine to me, but I don't know how a lawyer would view it. This is an important point, as the word hereinafter is used almost exclusively by lawyers.


    Lawyers don't like commas because in a document that has commas their presence or absence can be argued to change intentions in crucial ways. I don't see what difference it could make in sentence 3, but they don't like precedents either!

    b

  8. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #8

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Thank you again.
    What if the situation is not legal?

    For example,

    The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (hereinafter "UNESCO") is ...

  9. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #9

    Re: hereinafter referred to as

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Thank you again.
    What if the situation is not legal?

    For example,

    The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (hereinafter "UNESCO") is ...
    That's fine, although many readers would prefer to see it without 'hereinafter' - fivejedjon was simply saying that lawyers [no doubt because they deal with documents and have to be clear about meanings of words used in those documents - BobK] are typical and common users of the word.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. 'It is referred as' or 'It is referred to as'
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2010, 21:10
  2. [Grammar] referred
    By arc in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2009, 19:41
  3. hereinafter
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2008, 14:12
  4. referred to as
    By bread in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2004, 23:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •