Talking Meaning

Hello.

I like to read and sing lyrics really often, however; sometimes i don't understand the meaning of some words.Therefore I would be glad if someone could help me. These are a few of my examples :

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
    He's determined to call her bluff.

What is a bluff?.I have tried to use a dictionary but it doesn't make sense to me, and when i use the translator it says that it's a "farol". In Spanish it mean that it's that bright light that guides the boats through the dark. Is it correct?

Now the next one is a song from My Chemical Romance called Na Na Na.

Drugs, gimme drugs, gimme drugs
    I don't need it, but I'll sell what you got

what I understand is that he doesn't need to sell drugs, but he will sell anything the drug dealer has.Now when i read a translation from someone else he wrote it as "Drugs gimme drugs i don't need them but I'll sell them.What do you have? . So what is the right meaning of the sentence ?

And the last one is that sometimes I hear songs saying things like "Is it hard understanding" what's the difference between that and it's hard to understand??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarinouchou View Post
    Hello.

I like to read and sing lyrics really often, however; sometimes i don't understand the meaning of some words.Therefore I would be glad if someone could help me. These are a few of my examples :

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
    He's determined to call her bluff.

What is a bluff?.I have tried to use a dictionary but it doesn't make sense to me, and when i use the translator it says that it's a "farol". In Spanish it mean that it's that bright light that guides the boats through the dark. Is it correct? No

Now the next one is a song from My Chemical Romance called Na Na Na.

Drugs, gimme drugs, gimme drugs
    I don't need it, but I'll sell what you got

what I understand is that he doesn't need to sell drugs, but he will sell anything the drug dealer has.Now when i read a translation from someone else he wrote it as "Drugs gimme drugs i don't need them but I'll sell them.What do you have? . So what is the right meaning of the sentence ?
    "Give me some drugs. I don't need them to take personally (I'm not a junkie), but I'll sell them." That's one possibility. It's only possible to interpret or translate what is actually there.

And the last one is that sometimes I hear songs saying things like "Is it hard understanding" what's the difference between that and it's hard to understand??
    Probably nothing.
    Call a bluff:
    http://esl.about.com/library/glossary/bldef_124.htm