• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

would

“Anyone would conclude that the peaceful approach is best to reverse the situation,” said Moon Jung-in, a former adviser in the Roh administration. “A hard-line approach is not a real option.” New York Times (subscription, free)

Dear teacher,

I think of auxiliary verbs as tricky as in above. I think the would in red is expressing a sense of probability, but a native told me: Here would means certainly. I am thoroughly confused because I fail to find out the relevant definition in some dictionaries.

1. Used to express desire or intent: She said she would meet us at the corner.
    2. Used to express a wish: Would that we had gone with you!
    3. Used after a statement of desire, request, or advice: I wish you would stay.
    4. Used to make a polite request: Would you go with me?
    5. Used in the main clause of a conditional statement to express a possibility or likelihood: If I had enough money, I would buy a car. We would have gone to the beach, had the weather been good. See Usage Note at if.
    6. Used to express presumption or expectation: That would be Steve at the door.
    7. Used to indicate uncertainty: He would seem to be getting better.
    8. Used to express repeated or habitual action in the past: Every morning we would walk in the garden. Free dictionary
    Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: would

Definition 5 is my choice as well. As for the sense of certainty, it works if we assume ellipsis: "Anyone would (certainly) conclude ... ."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: would

Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    Definition 5 is my choice as well. As for the sense of certainty, it works if we assume ellipsis: "Anyone would (certainly) conclude ... ."
    Thank you, lauralie. Your reply is quite helpful. :)