Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello again! I need some help with this Scottish english, i uploaded file on rapidshare, could you please write here what are those men saying from 0:44 to 1:06? (starting with "Now with 20 thousand...... " and ending with "...rather than breweries."). Thanks in advance! ;-)

here is the link, i hope it´ll work - rapidshare.com/files/433251218/T3_Scottish_national_drink.mp3

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
...members worldwide and others marketing pure, unadulterated malt from the bottle, the secret is open to all. Now, there should be no conflict between ale and whiskey. After all, they're twins at birth. (While we're looking at) (a) malt whiskey (is) that it's (a or ehm?) distilled ale. Because, (no idea)-working brewers in Scotland are actually employed by distilleries...

I hope someone is going to correct this. I'm sure I hear "while we're looking at" there, but it doesn't make sense. :-?

PS: "What we're looking at in" maybe? But there's no "in" there and it still doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

kristin419

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My best guess is:

Now with 20,000 members worldwide, and others marketing pure, unadulterated malt from the bottle, the secret is open to all. Now there should be no conflict between ale and whiskey. After all, they are twins at birth. When we are looking at malt whiskey, is that, it's a distilled ale because most working brewers in Scotland are actually employed by distilleries, rather than breweries, and the ale they produce from malted barley and water is fermented, a bit like the stuff you would drink in the pub, but there are other slight differences and variances, no hops in it, for example, and the resulting ale that is produced is then distilled, and that's what gives you your malt whiskey.

The wording of the "when we are looking at" sentence is a bit like he changed his train of thought mid-sentence. It is not gramatically correct, but it is what I am hearing.

Hope that helps,

Kristin

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks! I thought he must have changed his mind about his sentence there...

And it was "most working"! I would never have guessed! :-?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He says 'err most', which might be why. ;-)

jamescz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello everyone, thanks alot for your replies! :hi: Have a nice day (or night :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.