[Grammar] difference btw the "participial" and the "participle" phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

okose

Member Type
Academic
Hello,

I am not clear about the difference between the participle and the participial phrase. What is the difference? Would you please give me some examples?
Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can google these phrases to find examples, okose.

Welcome to the board. Ask again if you have any specific questions.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I am not clear about the difference between the participle and the participial phrase. What is the difference? Would you please give me some examples?
Thanks!
They are two different words for the same thing.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Participle" is a noun, it refers to the actual word that serves as a participle in the sentence. "Participial" is an adjective, usually referred to as a "participial phrase." A participial phrase includes the modifiers which surround the participle.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Participle" is a noun, it refers to the actual word that serves as a participle in the sentence. "Participial" is an adjective, usually referred to as a "participial phrase." A participial phrase includes the modifiers which surround the participle.
That's true Ouisch, but in practice, the two terms are used synonymously on the web. If okose Googled these phrases, he might not be any the wiser. Some pages, such as the one quoted below, use the two terms almost alternately, as if they don't know they're even doing it.
Participle Phrase Recognition Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.