• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

cnbc

a headline on cnbc website today was: "stocks end lower for the week; csco climbs."
    after i took a look at csco chart, i found out that csco has climbed only 0.08 cents. is it correct to say climb for the 0.08 cent only despite the disappointing result.
    Last edited by alexka; 26-Nov-2010 at 23:02.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: cnbc

The answer to your question, alexka is YES. 'Climb' means to rise, and that's what CSCO did. It didn't fall, did it?

It would be a courtesy on your part, and a good example to other students, to attempt to write in standard English. Thus:

Quote Originally Posted by alexka View Post
    A headline on CNBC website today was: "stocks end lower for the week; CSCO climbs."
    After I took a look at CSCO chart, I found out that CSCO has climbed only 0.08 cents. Is it correct to say climb for the 0.08 cent only despite the disappointing result?
    Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

thanks rover,
    how was i not courteous on what i posted

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

a headline on cnbc website today was: "stocks end lower for the week; csco climbs."
    after i took a look at csco chart, i found out that csco has climbed only 0.08 cents. is it correct to say climb for the 0.08 cent only despite the disappointing result.
    I agree that this seems bizarre. But they have to print something. The following paragraph comes from the article (or one version). Cisco barely moved up, while the others barely moved down. My opinion is that the commentary on stocks is all nonsense, apart from the numbers.
    This result has been attributed in part to the tension on the Korean peninsula. If stocks rise slightly on Monday, it will be because "the market has recovered slightly from its initial jitters above Korea." The trick is simply to see whether the market has gone up or down, and then find good or bad news to link it to.

American Express [AXP 42.27 -0.73 (-1.7%) ] , JPMorgan [JPM 37.50 -0.66 (-1.73%) ] and Chevron [CVX 82.05 -0.88 (-1.06%) ] were the biggest decliners on the blue-chip index, while Cisco [CSCO 19.49 0.03 (+0.15%) ] gained.
    News Headlines

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thanks Rover,
    How was I not courteous on what I posted?
    You seem to be sufficiently well-educated to use standard English.

Rover