Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A soldier was in Iraq.

Someone said about him: His deployment was supposed to be up in four weeks but they just got notice of extension for another six months.

I'm just wondering if "deployment" could mean "mission" here?

So his mission in Iraq was supposed to be up in 4 weeks but they were notified that they had to stay longer.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I believe it means the deployment area, where the soldiers are situated. If their mission at that location is up, they would then go back to their duty station, and then if their contract is up, they would go home.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
After that that person added:

Apparently the Taliban is really coming back with a vengeance. He said they're pulling twenty thousand troops from Iraq to send to Afghanistan and he might end up there.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the author meant "mission".

His mission was supposed to be over, but they told them they would stay longer and would send them to Afghanistan.

But of course you may be right lauralie :)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
After that that person added:

Apparently the Taliban is really coming back with a vengeance. He said they're pulling twenty thousand troops from Iraq to send to Afghanistan and he might end up there.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the author meant "mission".
Oh, I see. I get it. His Unit was deployed to Iraq and that deployment (being sent to a particular area) is supposed to end in a month, but has been extended by six months to Afghanistan. That is, his deployment (being sent out of the duty station) has been extended by six months.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Hi

A soldier was in Iraq.

Someone said about him: His deployment was supposed to be up in four weeks but they just got notice of extension for another six months.

I'm just wondering if "deployment" could mean "mission" here?

So his mission in Iraq was supposed to be up in 4 weeks but they were notified that they had to stay longer.
My dictionary say

"deployment" ~ the movement of soldiers or equipment to a place where they can be used when they are needed.

My conclusion is that lauralie2 explained it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.