Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi everyone! I really need your help! I've been preparing two English songs with my students in the 5th grade for over a month since they have to sing them during the school Christmas show. I didn't choose the songs but I approve of them because I think they're not too difficult. However, I don't think my students like them very much and that's why they are having problems learning the lyrics by heart. I can see they're not really into it. We sang the songs over and over, I had them repeat the words in fun ways and I even made up some games we played in class to help them and they loved that, but they still can't remember the songs very well. I'm getting desperate as I'm running out of time. :cry: Do you have any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks a lot.

sana618

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think that it is pretty obvious, what the children don't like they don't put any effort into it. What you have to do is sit down with them and discuss
what the real problem is, if they don't like those songs ask them to make some suggestions as to which songs they like. I'm sure sure that the progress from then onwards will be just great.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What are the songs?

somera

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
Introduce a little choreography. I had the same problem with my kids last year and my first idea was to sing it with lots of passion hoping that it would catch on, but they just looked at me very strangely. But when I got them standing up and performing they soon remembered the words. The only problem will be if they decide to use the actions that they learned in class in the school play. Then again, it would be interesting viewing.

The other idea is to subtly use your most influential student to give the rest of the class some motivation. Each class has a leader or two and if they decide that the song is cool, then the others will agree. All you have to do is make the leader think the song is cool!

What is the song?

Status
Not open for further replies.