Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do we use the defenite article before diseases "flue or influenza"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do we use the defenite article before diseases "flue or influenza"?
In most cases, no. There are very few instances where it's used, "He's got the 'flu, the pox, the measles ... are some exceptions." Note that it's usually colloquial or slang terms that take the article.
It's also used when a specific strain of a disease arises somewhere - the Spanish flu, the Asian flu.
But normally, it's "He's got cancer, diabetes, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, etc."

Note, "the 'flu", but not "the influenza".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In most cases, no. There are very few instances where it's used, "He's got the 'flu, the pox, the measles ... are some exceptions." Note that it's usually colloquial or slang terms that take the article.
It's also used when a specific strain of a disease arises somewhere - the Spanish flu, the Asian flu.
But normally, it's "He's got cancer, diabetes, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, etc."

Note, "the 'flu", but not "the influenza".

I've heard pople using both "flu" and "the flu". So "the flu is more colloquial?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've heard pople using both "flu" and "the flu". So "the flu is more colloquial?
No, "the flu" is colloquial for "influenza". No one in Australia says, "He's got flu" or "He has flu."

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about,
Matt. 9:2 said:
And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Is it "sick of palsy" nowadays?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about,

Is it "sick of palsy" nowadays?
No. Have you seen Rowan Atkinson doing that 'sick of the palsy' skit?
Anyhow, I don't know what that Biblical man actually had. Palsy could have meant anything in those days, though most probably it was a stroke.
No one these days says, "I have the palsy", or even "I have palsy", to my knowledge. Maybe people with Cerebral Palsy use the term as a shorthand among friends. Or people with Bell's palsy, might say, "I wish this palsy would go away" - which it does with time. But palsy is a symptom/sign rather than a discrete illness.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Colloquially, you can use the definite article before a made-up 'disease': 'He has a bad case of the hots for her'. Also golfers who develop an uncontrollable tic when concentrating are said to have 'the yips'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.