Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could anyone tell me how this double modal is used in the context? I got it from the list of double modals but there was no context. Is it less strong than just "I'm supposed to"?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could anyone tell me how this double modal is used in the context? I got it from the list of double modals but there was no context. Is it less strong than just "I'm supposed to"?
"Might supposed to" is incorrect. "Might be supposed to" is possible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could anyone tell me how this double modal is used in the context? I got it from the list of double modals but there was no context. Is it less stronger than just "I'm supposed to"?
I'd be interested to know what list of double modals you are referring to. One of the defining features of a modal is that it cannot collacate with another modal.

Incidentally, be supposed to is not a modal. It conveys a very similar message to a couple of the modals. This similarity is so great that some label it a semi-modal or quasi-modal.

The 'core' modals in english are: can, could, may, might, must, shall, should, will, and would.

Some writers include dare, need and ought to in their list of modals, and at least one authority includes used to.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I'd be interested to know what list of double modals you are referring to. One of the defining features of a modal is that it cannot collacate with another modal.

I was interested in this too so I did some googling. According to linguist Ben Zimmer from Language Log:

Double modals with might, such as might could, might should, might oughta, and might would, are chiefly limited to Southern and South Midland dialects, and they can sound downright peculiar to anyone outside of those regions.

I think "Southern" means "Southern USA" there.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The wikipedia article says, "These kinds of double modal phrases are not regarded as standard", and Munch's Ben Zimmer calls them "downright peculiar".

So, forget double modals.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The wikipedia article says, "These kinds of double modal phrases are not regarded as standard", and Munch's Ben Zimmer calls them "downright peculiar".

So, forget double modals.

I'm not going to use it. But I'm just intrested as a person who's interested in languages. Anyone heard might supposed to in speech?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Incidentally, be supposed to is not a modal. It conveys a very similar message to a couple of the modals. This similarity is so great that some label it a semi-modal or quasi-modal.

The 'core' modals in english are: can, could, may, might, must, shall, should, will, and would.

Some writers include dare, need and ought to in their list of modals, and at least one authority includes used to.

Here you go it's on the list on this website Language Log: Do double modals really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.