Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Mexico
Apparently, this is a saying used in New Zealand, although some sources say it has spread to the U.K. as well. We can find no evidence of that.

It is said in reply to the question, "How are you?' or something similar. Does anybody know the origin of the term or anything regarding it?

It almost sounds like Cockney rhyming slang, but I can find no reference for it in that regard.

Thanks!

Steerforth

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Apparently, this is a saying used in New Zealand, although some sources say it has spread to the U.K. as well. We can find no evidence of that.

It is said in reply to the question, "How are you?' or something similar. Does anybody know the origin of the term or anything regarding it?

It almost sounds like Cockney rhyming slang, but I can find no reference for it in that regard.

Thanks!

Steerforth
Steerforth, a quick Google search for 'a box of fluffy ducks' will provide you with some possible answers. You can also visit Origins of the phrase box of fluffy ducks? - Yahoo! Answers for additional guidance.

Cheers

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't know about other people in the UK, but I haven't heard it used, which makes me think that it hasn't spread that far there.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: - though it's faintly reminiscent of 'snug as a bug in a rug' (which is used in Br English).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.