1. mischievous sprite

Red face Old English?

Hello I am a French student and I'm very interested in the English language. And I like the Old English language above all! I am sure I still make grammar mistakes in modern English and it may seem proud of me to try and write poetry using old English, but It would be great if I could have this text corrected by someone who is well-qualified to do so...
    I hope you are not going to laugh at me, it is a love poem I won't NEVER read or write to the one I care even though it is correct...

I have seen on thy face
    Such beauty, and such grace
    That my heart's only aim
    Is to beat in thy name.

Thou art a holy place
    I doth not want to leave
    Thou art the Heaven's face
    In whom I do believe.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old English?

Great poem, but . . . it's neither Old English nor Middle English. It appears to be somewhere between Middle English and Modern English. If you're interested in Old English or Middle English grammar, let us know. There are many sites online we can direct you to.

All the best,

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Old English?

Thanks for your answer; I feel a bit ashamed ... I found a website which is supposed to present "old English" rules but it seems not to be reliable according to your answer...
    So if i wrote neither in Middle English nore in Modern English, are the sentences grammatically correct, at all? Or does the whole thing sounds like a big jumble?
    Last edited by mischievous sprite; 19-Jul-2005 at 12:11.

• Post Thanks / Like

It sounds very poetic. You did a fabulous job! Congratulations. I couln't have done it.

Old English and Middle English spelling and word order are a bit different from Modern English, what we speak today. There are dictionaries available online if you're interested. If not, no worries. Old English sounds like this (note, the type-face is Modern English. Sorry I don't have Old English font):

iff thu thinne for stinths, whe oun daegliath thi and thinne hearud.

Doesn't look at all like English, does it?

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again. Indeed Old English is...odd, it sounds a bit like Elfic, I think. Nice language, but I am not sure I will try and learn it. I like to learn languages I can use in everyday life and I am not sure many people still have conversations in old English!