• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile undulate

Please check the following sentences. Which is better, (1) or (2)?
    Can the word "undulated" be replaced with "shook" or "vibrated" ?

(1) As the bus undulated with the road's uneven surface, the woman struggled to get a firm foothold.
    (2) As the bus was undulating with the road's uneven surface, the woman struggled to get a firm foothold.
    Last edited by Ashiuhto; 01-Dec-2010 at 01:17. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: undulate

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    Please check the following sentences. Which is better, (1) or (2)?
    Can the word "undulated" be replaced with "shook" or "vibrated" ?

(1) As the bus undulated with the road's uneven surface, the woman struggled to get a firm foothold.
    (2) As the bus was undulating with the road's uneven surface, the woman struggled to get a firm foothold.
    'Shook' or 'vibrated' would be much better. Undulation is a more wavy, smooth rhythm. "The woman undulated sensuously to the cool music, as the bus driver struggled to get a foothold."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile Re: undulate

Hi,
    I'm confused by your sentence "..., as the bus driver struggled to get a foothold." I wonder how the bus driver can struggle to get a firm foothold while he was driving the bus. Since the bus driver was sitting on driver's seat, he didn't need to get a foothold. It should be the straphangers that need to get a firm foothold lest they might slip and fall on the bus. Maybe my recognition is wrong, please give me more explanations or examples.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: undulate

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    Hi,
    I'm confused by your sentence "..., as the bus driver struggled to get a foothold." I wonder how the bus driver can struggle to get a firm foothold while he was driving the bus. Since the bus driver was sitting on driver's seat, he didn't need to get a foothold. It should be the straphangers that need to get a firm foothold lest they might slip and fall on the bus. Maybe my recognition is wrong, please give me more explanations or examples.
    I'm sorry, forget the second half of the sentence. There's no point trying to make sense of it.
    'Shook' or 'vibrated' would be much better. Undulation is a more wavy, smooth rhythm