Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, BMI stands for "Broadcast Music International" and is a United States-based performing rights organization that collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members. BMI has offices in Atlanta, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, and Puerto Rico. BMI also hosts its own award shows and regional showcases.

BMI is sort of the "music police" in that it keeps track of where artists' works are played so that they can collect the applicable royalties. It's not uncommon for a small shop owner to receive a "cease and desist" legal notice for playing a radio in his store. According to BMI, that is considered a "public performance" - he is playing the radio not for personal enjoyment, but to entertain his customers, and therefore he has to pay BMI a hefty fine for playing "unlicensed" music.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ooops ;-)

Actually, in the very limited context we have, I think Tdol's version is as likely as Barb's.

Only more context will tell us which one is appropriate in this case.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, in the very limited context we have, I think Tdol's version is as likely as Barb's.

Only more context will tell us which one is appropriate in this case.

I'm not Barb (but I'm flattered by the comparison), and it always pains me to contradict or correct Tdol (so I only ever do so after thorough investigation), but if you follow Tdol's link, you'll see that it does, in fact, direct you to Broadcast Music International.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not Barb. Sorry, I don't know what happened there.
if you follow Tdol's link, you'll see that it does, in fact, direct you to Broadcast Music International.
Oops. Carelessness on my part. I assumed (because it was Tdol who had provided the link) that it must prove his point; I didn't check it. I was wrong. Tdol was wrong. You, Ouisch, were right.
:oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I didn't check because the way they tend to be referred to in the UK makes them sound like a national body. In fact, until I posted the link I has assumed that the B stood for British. ;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was wrong. Tdol was wrong. You, Ouisch, were right.

In a real-life face-to-face conversation, this is the point where I'd demurely say "Well, of course, my point wasn't necessarily to be 'right'...." and then Mr. Ouisch would burst out in a spasm of coughing and eye-rolling. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In a real-life face-to-face conversation, this is the point where I'd demurely say "Well, of course, my point wasn't necessarily to be 'right'...."

Just an inevitable consequence of umm being err right. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.