Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
He is an a little poor boy.

Is this sentence correct or at least possible?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can imagine it said, semi jokingly, with careful stress and pausing.

In writing? well, I had to read it four times before I understood it. I was a more than a little confused reader.

Interestingly, as soon as I had written that last sentence, it seemed less unlikely to me than yours. Perhaps it was the underlined words that confused me: He is an a little poor boy.

Or perhaps it's because I may be a little confused, but I don't think I am likely to be a little poor.

Or (will this never end?) it's because the idea of a poor little boy came to mind and muddied the waters.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I can imagine it said, semi jokingly, with careful stress and pausing.

In writing? well, I had to read it four times before I understood it. I was a more than a little confused reader.

Interestingly, as soon as I had written that last sentence, it seemed less unlikely to me than yours. Perhaps it was the underlined words that confused me: He is an a little poor boy.

Or perhaps it's because I may be a little confused, but I don't think I am likely to be a little poor.

Or (will this never end?) it's because the idea of a poor little boy came to mind and muddied the waters.
I just took the first example that came to my mind. "Confused" is better I think.

I'm not asking out of mere curiosity. I happened to trip on this while speaking. I don't remember the actual adjective I wanted to use but I remember I had no idea whether to use "an a little" or just "a little".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I had no idea whether to use "an a little" or just "a little".

If you were going to use it, it would have to be an a little. Without an it would mean a small, impoverished boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.