Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everybody!

Opinions are welcome as to the use of the forms "disc" and "disk" in AmE and BrE. Any country-specific differences?

Thanks

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"By the 20th century, the c-spelling was more popular in British English, while the k-spelling was preferred in American English."

It seems to be tru even now. Am I right?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"By the 20th century, the c-spelling was more popular in British English, while the k-spelling was preferred in American English."

It seems to be true even now. Am I right?
Apparently, there are some technical differences associated with the meanings of 'disk' and 'disc' that apply to both sides of the Atlantic. According to the following URL: What's the difference between a "disc" and a "disk?" , A disc refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.
A disk refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk, the disk in your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected.
Disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often, a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Thank you for asking your questions! I was not aware of the technical differences before I did some research on the subject. :up:

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for your help.
Still the use of "с" and "k" is ambiguous and confusing to me.
Just try the first link you gave me and find in the "References":
"Compact disk". The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Bartleby.com. 2000. http://www.bartleby.com/61/16/C0521600.html.

It's "Compact DISK", and yes it's optical.

What I see of all the above is that Americans mostly like "k" in the "disk".

Here seems to be no general rule, just trends...

Hence, personal opinions are still welcome. What do you personally write in the word "disc/disk"? "C" or "K"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, we mostly use -c, but in IT, American spelling is often used, so we watch a TV programme and use a computer program, so disk is often used for magnetic storage. I haven't seen Compact Disk used much in BrE.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Apparently, there are some technical differences associated with the meanings of 'disk' and 'disc' that apply to both sides of the Atlantic. According to the following URL: What's the difference between a "disc" and a "disk?" , A disc refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.
A disk refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk, the disk in your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected.
Disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often, a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Thank you for asking your questions! I was not aware of the technical differences before I did some research on the subject. :up:
I'd be prepared to say that many of these descriptions are bollocks. There might be some difference in the history of the way the two words are used, but when you get argumentation like the following, you have to wonder:

"A person may want to use the hard K "disk" when forming compound nouns, such as a "disk holder," in order to avoid an awkward soft C pronunciation by the reader."
What is the Difference Between a Disc and a Disk?

For the benefit of non-native speakers (and apparently for some natives) the two words are pronounced identically.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
logo_compact_disc.png

Here is the official CD logo. So Americans tend to use "c" with compact discs, but "k" with computer disks (or diskettes).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Oh yes! They sure would not like it ;)

Ok, thank you.

After reading all your messages and links you shared, the situation is more or less clear to me now. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.