Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
I found the churlish behaviour very interesting and at times even entertaining and before I knew it the allocated half hour had finished with MPs filing out of the chamber like football fans leaving the stadium after the final whistle.

Is using the word and more than once in a sentence good practice and should it be avoided and if so why?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I found the churlish behaviour very interesting and at times even entertaining and before I knew it the allocated half hour had finished with MPs filing out of the chamber like football fans leaving the stadium after the final whistle.

Is using the word and more than once in a sentence good practice and should it be avoided and if so why?
I would replace one or the other with a comma it doesn't much matter which, although my choice would be the first one. The reason is simply that it would read better.

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
I would replace one or the other with a comma it doesn't much matter which, although my choice would be the first one. The reason is simply that it would read better.

So it is a Myth then? As long as the sentence makes sense 'and' can be used as many times as you want, though it does't appear in many best sellers or newspaper articles.

bhasiahab,
could you please answer my question and is there a better way to write the above sentence. There is something not quite right with it.

Thanks

boozl

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's nothing wrong with the original sentence.

Rover

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
There's nothing wrong with the original sentence.

Rover

Have you an opinion on the use of the word 'and' too many times in a sentence KE?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have an opinion. "Too many" times is not good.

However, how many is "too many" is up for debate. In the hands of a smooth writer, a few extra "ands" are okay.

In your original, I feel a comma is needed before the second independent clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.