Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Vietnam
- He should have been a virgin but he was raped by his teacher, miss Jennifer last year.
- She's now pregnant because she was careless not using contraceptive pills.

- Are these sentences grammatical and natural?

Thanks so much to Teachers and other members!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- He was a virgin until he was raped by his teacher, Miss Jennifer, last year.
- She's now pregnant because she carelessly forgot to take her contraceptive pills.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
- He was a virgin until he was raped by his teacher, Miss Jennifer, last year.
- She's now pregnant because she carelessly forgot to take her contraceptive pills.
So unlike the home life of our own dear EFL teachers.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do know that males can be raped, but is it possible the teacher seduced him instead of raping him? (Granted, this is getting into a dicey area and I may regret posting this.)

As we have said over and over and over, we tend not to say "Miss Jennifer" or "Mr. Peter" but Miss Smith and Mr. Jones.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do know that males can be raped, but is it possible the teacher seduced him instead of raping him? (Granted, this is getting into a dicey area and I may regret posting this.)
You may indeed! I forbore (for once) from saying anything about that point. I agree with you, but that has to be a personal answer. If a discussion starts, it's almost certainly going to be end up in quibbles about legal terminology and male/female perceptions rather than about language. I don't know whether the American legal term 'statutory rape' covers this situation. If it does, then that would settle things nicely.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You may indeed! I forbore (for once) from saying anything about that point. I agree with you, but that has to be a personal answer. If a discussion starts, it's almost certainly going to be end up in quibbles about legal terminology and male/female perceptions rather than about language. I don't know whether the American legal term 'statutory rape' covers this situation. If it does, then that would settle things nicely.

That was my thinking exactly when I posted my reply, 5jj.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.