Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 309
    #1

    what are complex linking words

    Dear all teachers,

    what are complex linking words ?

    Can you give me some website links ?

    Many thanks

  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #2

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Quote Originally Posted by duiter View Post
    Dear all teachers,

    what are complex linking words ?
    I do not know. MY uneducated guess is they are intransitive complex verb phrases followed by adjectives or nouns that relate to the subject of the sentence.

    It must have been love.

    Quote Originally Posted by duiter View Post
    Can you give me some website links ?
    I can't, sorry.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: what are complex linking words

    I fear that Corum's guess is a little wide of the mark.

    Linking words
    is a term that covers words joining sentences, clauses and/or words, such as:

    and, or, but, as, because, although, before, meanwhile, however.

    I have not come across the expression complex linking words.

    Where did you find it, duiter? Can you give a little more context?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 309
    #4

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Dear fivejedjon,


    Thanks a lot for your answer


    complex linking words

    Linking words are considered gold dust in IELTS Writing and Speaking and task one is no exception. For a typical 150 word answer it is recommended that the answer contains between 5 and 8 complex linking words. Simply using “firstly secondly thirdly finally” will not achieve a high score. More importantly an answer without linking words will immediately be marked down.

    see : Academic Task One – Graphs and Charts
    ???????????????

    Many thnaks
    Last edited by duiter; 05-Dec-2010 at 18:41. Reason: bold letter

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: what are complex linking words

    QUOTE=duiter;686234]Dear fivejedjon,


    Thanks a lot for your answer


    complex linking words

    Linking words are considered gold dust in IELTS Writing and Speaking and task one is no exception. For a typical 150 word answer it is recommended that the answer contains between 5 and 8 complex linking words. Simply using “firstly secondly thirdly finally” will not achieve a high score. More importantly an answer without linking words will immediately be marked down.

    see : Academic Task One – Graphs and Charts
    ???????????????

    Many thnaks[/QUOTE]


    NOT A TEACHER


    Duiter,


    After reading your link, I am guessing that "complex

    linking words" is another term for transitional elements.

    In the link, they used many of them in the example

    sentences:

    in fact

    furthermore

    in addition to

    for example

    nevertheless

    conclusively

    on the contrary

    however


    THANK YOU & HAVE A NICE DAY

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Hello again, duiter.

    I can only assume that the writer means something like 'more sophisticated than just firstly, secondly, etc or and, but.'

    Some examples are here:


    There are plenty of sites if you google 'linking words' - forget 'complex'. One of the first I found was Linking words - english-at-home.com

    That answer will have to suffice for the moment. If there is in fact a technical term 'complex linking words', let's hope somebody who knows it will look at this thread and give you a better answer.

    p.s. I posted my response at about the same time as Parser posted his. Fortunately we seem to be in agreement.
    Last edited by Red5; 20-Jan-2015 at 21:04. Reason: p.s. added. PPS Links corrected.

  4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #7

    Re: what are complex linking words

    hi Duiter,

    complex linking words are those which used in complex sentences. A complex sentence has an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses. A complex sentence always has a subordinator, "complex linking words", such as because, since, after, although, or when or a relative pronoun such as that, who, or which.

  5. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #8

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I fear that Corum's guess is a little wide of the mark[I].
    Linking word, not verb. I misread the post. .hit happens, sorry.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    Linking word, not verb. I misread the post. .hit happens, sorry.
    Well, I referred to the Passive Voice as a mood in another thread not long ago. As you say, it happens,

  7. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #10

    Re: what are complex linking words

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Well, I referred to the Passive Voice as a mood
    Randolph Quirk, eat my heart out! EDIT: Sorry, yours, not mine!

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...r-heart-out__1

    Did an inner voice say this to you when you were in a bad mood?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linking words together
    By duiter in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2010, 11:34
  2. Linking words THANK YOU
    By kukinecka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2009, 20:36
  3. linking words
    By black cat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2008, 10:50
  4. Linking words
    By Glob3 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2008, 15:54
  5. linking words
    By Ana laura in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2006, 16:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •