What is the rule of chunking in spoken English ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duiter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear Teachers,

What is the rule of chunking in spoken English ?

see : é›…æ€è€ƒå®˜è®ºå£è¯*最新评分æ*‡å‡† Mat Clark - 日志 - æ*¦æ±‰æ–°ä¸œæ–¹ - æ—*忧雅æ€åšå®¢ç©ºé—´

What is Chunking?

Chunking is actually quite a new “label” or “buzzword” in the EFL world and for many experienced EFL teachers and even for IELTS examiners it is something which is difficult to accurately define.

Many thanks and Have a nice day

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you read a little further in your link, you will find an explanation.

duiter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear fivejedjon,

These “word groups” are not random, there are rules as to which words should be “chunked” together. Unfortunately, as with many features of English pronunciation, these rules are somewhat “fuzzy”.

Can you explain in detail the ''fuzzy rules'' for all the readers of usingenglish.com ?

Hence I post this query here

Many thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear fivejedjon,

Can you explain in detail the ''fuzzy rules'' for all the readers of usingenglish.com ?
Sorry, no; I can't (= I do not have the ability)

I suspect that when the writer uses the word 'rules' he is suggesting that chunking is not an arbitrary process. I also suspect that if a list of rules exists, it will be fairly technical. The 'fuzziness' tells us that the rules are not hard and fast.

By the way, when writing in public threads, it is a not a good idea to address a question to one named member. There may be other members who know the answer - you don't want to put them off. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Given that they are fuzzy, they are not so clear and consequently will be difficult to define. Chunks are groups of words that we use like prefabricated bits of language. As this refers to the speaking part of the test, if the candidate uses them naturally, so they sound like like a group and not individual words being added one after the other, they will get credited for this.

There are sme examples given- many with the empty phrases that we use in speaking- you could add things like at the end of the day- what matters in this part of the test is that the words run together and sound natural, not forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.