Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1

    Problem with stess

    Hello everyone:)

    I have a question:

    How to stess a phrase 'English teacher', which refers to a teacher who comes from England but also teaches English?

    Please, help :)

    Thanks for advance :)

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134

    Re: Problem with stess

    You can't do it unambiguously by stress alone.

    To be absolutely clear you'll have to say something like, "an English teacher of English".

    In conversation you could say, "He's an English English teacher," stressing the word in bold.

Similar Threads

  1. My problem or my spell check's problem?
    By NarutoDude in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2010, 11:36
  2. [Grammar] my problem
    By dahyane in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2009, 02:54
  3. educational problem vs education problem
    By pucubuwi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2006, 14:17
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2004, 09:24


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts