Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi. May I ask you a question? While I was watching moive 'DIE HARD' I was be able to hear the expression 'Yippie kay yay'. I really want to ask about the meaning of 'Yippie Kay Yay' and in what context it can be uesd. I'm studying to become an engish teacher in south korea. I'm south korean so I don't know much about an american culture. I'm learning the culture to help my english study. I will look forward to seeing your answers. Thank you.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, one of the best explanations for the 'Yippee-ki-yay' expression you heard in 'Die Hard' can be found at The greatest one-liner in movie history. - By Eric Lichtenfeld - Slate Magazine.

Here is a brief excerpt from that site: When terrorist-slash-exceptional thief Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) taunts hero John McClane (Bruce Willis), "Who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child?" and asks this "Mr. Cowboy" if he really thinks he stands a chance, McClane's answer—"Yippee-ki-yay, (expletive deleted)"—marks the moment that McClane, an everyman, assumes the mantle of America's archetypal heroes: Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Gunsmoke's Marshall Dillon, and others who have been so vital to American boyhood. Unlike the many action-movie one-liners that are rooted in the hero's narcissism, McClane's stems from our collective wish-fulfillment. He is not referring to himself, not suggesting an "I" or a "me" but an us. And considering the European Gruber's appreciation of fashion, finance, and the classics, McClane's comeback acquires an additional subtext: Our pop culture can beat up your high culture.

Basically, "Yippee ki-yay" is an old, American cowboy saying :"yippee" is a word used to express extreme joy, like "Whoopee!!" The Bruce Willis character uses the expression to summon the bravado that is symbolic of the legendary heroes of America's "Wild West" period.

Reactions: 5jj

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From cowboy films I have the impression that it (or something like it - 'Yippi-i-o ki-yay, git along lil dogies' is the way I remember it) was used to round up cattle.

b

PS If MrsK hasn't thrown out her Allan Lomax book of folk songs, I may be able to substantiate this speculation. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Found while surfing the Net: Actually, the song is called "I'm an Old Cowhand" and Bing Crosby sang it first in his 1936 film Rhythm on the Range.

Bing was successful in just about every genre of song he sang, including country and western. Here Bing swings a cowboy tune written by Johnny Mercer for the Crosby film "Rhythm on the Range." It would be the first of many Mercer songs recorded by Bing. "I'm an Old Cowhand" was recorded July 17, 1936, with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, and charted for 13 weeks, reaching as high as #2 on the pop charts.

Now, just for fun, let's add some music to the lyrics: YouTube - Sons of the Pioneers - I'm an Old Cowhand

Enjoy!
A4

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. May I ask you a question? While I was watching moive 'DIE HARD' I was be able to hear the expression 'Yippie kay yay'. I really want to ask about the meaning of 'Yippie Kay Yay' and in what context it can be used. I'm studying to become an engish teacher in south korea. I'm south korean so I don't know much about an american culture. I'm learning the culture to help my english study. I will look forward to seeing your answers. Thank you.

Using it at times other than when you're herding livestock or blowing up buildings ....

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Using it at times other than when you're herding livestock or blowing up buildings ....
If you are not herding livestock or blowing up buildings you probably won't be using (or hearing) 'Yippee-kay-yay' as common usage. ;-)
Aside from those of us in the Senior Citizen Club who remember the heyday of cowboy movies,and the 'Die Hard' fans who recognize a classic one-liner from the Bruce Willis films, I would say that the expression is definitely not as popular as it was in the early 1940's! ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you know if you've seen the movie or from the quote above, after the Yippie-kay-yei, he uses one of the rudest expletives in our language.

In a kids' movie I watched recently, there were a bunch of appliances that were going to come to life and destroy the planet. As the hero (a guinea pig, I believe) jumped on the coffee maker to shut it down, he yelled "Yippie-kay-yei, coffee maker!" with the exact same cadence as Bruce Willis's full line.

I laughed so hard at that, I cried, and I could NOT tell my kids why it was so funny.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you know if you've seen the movie or from the quote above, after the Yippie-kay-yei, he uses one of the rudest expletives in our language.

In a kids' movie I watched recently, there were a bunch of appliances that were going to come to life and destroy the planet. As the hero (a guinea pig, I believe) jumped on the coffee maker to shut it down, he yelled "Yippie-kay-yei, coffee maker!" with the exact same cadence as Bruce Willis's full line.

I laughed so hard at that, I cried, and I could NOT tell my kids why it was so funny.
As if a guinea pig whomping a coffee-maker needs any explanation!!!:lol::lol::lol:;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.