Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 1

    Need a word or literary term

    What is the term that describes labeling/describing/naming something the opposite of what it is? An example of what I mean is calling a tall, large man "Tiny."

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774

    Re: Need a word or literary term

    What about antiphrasis?

    ANTIPHRASIS: Use of an expression where its exact opposite would be appropriate. Antiphrasis usually is intended to produce an ironic or humorous effect. Examples: a bald man called "Curly" or a tall fat man called "Tiny." Source A Selected Glossary of Publishing & Literary Terms

Similar Threads

  1. The literary term for non-word sounds?
    By feppish in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2010, 14:37
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2008, 17:01
  3. what is the appropriate term or word?
    By vladz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2004, 19:00
  4. Literary Term Question
    By Howyoudoin952 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2004, 22:47
  5. Literary Term used in literature and movies
    By millerac in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2004, 21:47


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts