• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

to get the knack of/ to get the hang of

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right about my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    "You've got to get the knack of working both arms at once," he said. "It takes a little practice." (Th. Dreiser)

You sit down and take it quite calmly. You’ll soon get the hang of the position. (H. G. Wells, “The War in the Air”)

She began to get the hang of those little things which the pretty woman who has vanity invariably adopts. (Th. Dreiser, “Sister Carrie”)

to get the knack of = to get the knack of something = learn the proper way of doing, using or handling something; acquire the knack of something.; to succeed in learning how to do something after practicing it

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: to get the knack of/ to get the hang of

[QUOTE=vil;686982]Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right about my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    "You've got to get the knack of working both arms at once," he said. "It takes a little practice." (Th. Dreiser)

You sit down and take it quite calmly. You’ll soon get the hang of the position. (H. G. Wells, “The War in the Air”)

She began to get the hang of those little things which the pretty woman who has vanity invariably adopts. (Th. Dreiser, “Sister Carrie”)

to get the knack of = to get the knack of something = learn the proper way of doing, using or handling something; acquire the knack of something.; to succeed in learning how to do something after practicing it

Yes, I think you are getting the hang of it. It takes practice to get the knack of understanding and using English.