[Grammar] How u doing? and How u holding up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noppanit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I was wondering, these sentences "How u doing? and How u holding up?. They don't have "are" which is not grammatically correct. Could you please explain to me why is that? I heard somebody said it on a movie. :)

If I can omit verb to be, what kind of sentence I can do that?

Thanks

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was wondering, these sentences "How u doing? and How u holding up?. They don't have "are" which is not grammatically correct. Could you please explain to me why is that? I heard somebody said it on a movie. :)

If I can omit verb to be, what kind of sentence I can do that?

Thanks

Good question.

1. In informal spoken English, speakers sometimes leave out words, but the left out words are "understood".

2. The speaker may have been speaking very quickly and it sounded like the "are" was left out.

How're you doing?

But, it may have sounded like:

hau wer ya du win --- blending "how, are, you" into "hauerya"...

I'd have to hear the clip to know which one happened here. Just know that spoken, informal English is just that: informal. It is not a good example of good, 'textbook' formal English you learn in English class. The speaker probably (we hope) knows standard English, but, this style of informal English is common in everyday life. :)

noppanit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thanks, so if I meet some friends, I could use "How u doing?" without they thinking I'm stupid right.

Thank you very much, there's really a lot to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.