• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Trust fund vs. gift shops

When I was watching an episode of a TV series,I came across a line as follow:
    "Come on. You can do this, or do you want everyone to think you're so old before your time you've joined the National Trust just for the gift shops?"
    I find this uncomprehensible for me mainly because I fail to see the connection between "Trust fund "and "gift shops"
    The context is the speaker of this sentence urges the listener who is an owner of a joke shop to prove with her own action that she isn't as "middle-aged" as someone mockingly say she is.
    Please help me to understand this sentence.Your help will be much appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Trust fund vs. gift shops

Quote Originally Posted by on the way View Post
    When I was watching an episode of a TV series,I came across a line as follow:
    "Come on. You can do this, or do you want everyone to think you're so old before your time you've joined the National Trust just for the gift shops?"
    I find this uncomprehensible for me mainly because I fail to see the connection between "Trust fund "and "gift shops"
    The context is the speaker of this sentence urges the listener who is an owner of a joke shop to prove with her own action that she isn't as "middle-aged" as someone mockingly say she is.
    Please help me to understand this sentence.Your help will be much appreciated.
    The National Trust is not a trust fund. See this link: The National Trust

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Trust fund vs. gift shops

The National Trust has nothing to do with Trust Funds, see: National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Many NT sites have gift shops where people can buy souvenirs of the site itself and of the NT in general. If people go to a site and venture no further than the gift shop, they are perhaps interested in showing that they have an interest in the site; they may not be genuinely interested in it. The speaker is suggesting that this behaviour is typical of older people.