[Vocabulary] "The stop of us will be un-twoable".What's the meaning of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is a line in an episode of a TV series "Miranda".The context is that Miranda and her friend Stevie are mobilizing themselves to beat a girl who mockingly say they are old.I know there isn't such a word as un-twoable,but I'm still very curious to know what Miranda means with this utterance.Your help will be much appreciated.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
This is a line in an episode of a TV series "Miranda".The context is that Miranda and her friend Stevie are mobilizing themselves to beat a girl who mockingly say they are old.I know there isn't such a word as un-twoable,but I'm still very curious to know what Miranda means with this utterance.Your help will be much appreciated.

*** NOT A TEACHER ***

In my humble opinion, it is a sort of pun. :) Consider this, "two of us will be unstoppable". :idea: I sense I make hope. :mrgreen: I mean, I hope I make sense.;-)

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

In my humble opinion, it is a sort of pun. :) Consider this, "two of us will be unstoppable". :idea: I sense I make hope. :mrgreen: I mean, I hope I make sense.;-)
Brilliant!Thank you very very much.It makes sense now.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

Well spotted, Mav. I hadn't noticed that.

(To be picky, it's a spoonerism, not a pun.)

Rover:)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well spotted, Mav. I hadn't noticed that.

(To be picky, it's a spoonerism, not a pun.)

Rover:)

:-? I thought Spoonerisms involved the transposition of only the initial phonemes of the words involved. The most popular one I can recall is ascribed to the Reverend Doctor himself: 'You have tasted two worms, and must leave on the next town drain.'

I don't know what whole morpheme transpositions are called. One popular in my family is 'The thick plottens'. ;-)

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A spoonerism is an error in speech or deliberate play on words in which corresponding consonants, vowels, or morphemes are switched.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I worded my objection wrongly :oops:. My restricting it to phonemes was wrong. Such a distinction is worth making though, I think. ;-) The Wikipedia definition doesn't (explicitly) extend to whole words ('two' and 'stop'), although it does by implication as the two words in question are both monophonemic.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.