Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
Hello its Kapil.recently i joined this website and i liked the way of teaching. i am in trouble with sentences up and out. i don't know where to use up and where to use out.always i get confuse with these. because i dont the exact meaning of these.so pls can you make me understand the exact meaning of these two words.thanks

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello,

You generally go Up to (i.e. approach) a person or object, go Up stairs (or down of course), Up in a lift etc.

You would use 'out' when someone/something moves from inside a building to outside the building. e.g. 'He went out of the house to see what all the noise was about'

Is this the sort of help you're looking for?

Rgds

kapil47

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

You generally go Up to (i.e. approach) a person or object, go Up stairs (or down of course), Up in a lift etc.

You would use 'out' when someone/something moves from inside a building to outside the building. e.g. 'He went out of the house to see what all the noise was about'

Is this the sort of help you're looking for?

Rgds
i understand these sentences but there are some another sentences which we use with up and out. for ex.

1) Fill it out
or
fill it up
i don't know the difference of these sentences.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
i understand these sentences but there are some another sentences which we use with up and out. for ex.

1) Fill it out
or
fill it up
i don't know the difference of these sentences.

If you have a form, and you need to complete it, you fill it out.
If you have a container, and you add things to it until it is full, you have filled it up.

There are other uses of "fill out" but "fill up" will usually refer to a physical container.
You fill up this sack with flour. You fill up your gas tank.

kapil47

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
If you have a form, and you need to complete it, you fill it out.
If you have a container, and you add things to it until it is full, you have filled it up.

There are other uses of "fill out" but "fill up" will usually refer to a physical container.
You fill up this sack with flour. You fill up your gas tank.
thanks a lot Richard , you are helping me a lot.can you help me with some more sentences pls related with up and out.
for ex . 1) They got up the list of 200 people , i boiled up some water for a cup of tea.
2) we can work some thing out , pass these out.

we can speak these sentences without up and out. but these sentences make difference when we put up and out with these.

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

1. I'm not sure what idea you are trying to convey. Are you trying to say someone compiled a list of 200 people? In which case neither 'up' nor 'out' are relevant. You'd simply say, 'They created a list....'

'I boiled some water for a cup of tea'. Up is not needed.

If you're trying to say someone whose name was already in a list of 200 names, moved further up the list then, 'They moved up the list of 200 people'.

2. We can work something out. 'Pass these out' is OK

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.