Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If I'm running a high temperature and the doctor gives me a remedy so the temperature eventualy drops down.

Can we say " I'll give him some antibiotics to drop down the temperature."?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If I'm running a high temperature and the doctor gives me a remedy so the temperature eventualy drops down.

You can say it grammatically, but it's incorrect. Antibiotics are not antipyretic. If the fever is caused by a bacterial infection, the antibiotics are given to kill the bacteria. Once this has happened, the temperature will go down by itself. In the absence of bacteria to kill, antibiotics will not affect your temperature.
However, you can say, "I'll take some paracetamol (acetaminophen) - or aspirin, or ibuprofen - to bring down my temperature; or I'll take a cool bath to lower my temperature.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You can say it grammatically, but it's incorrect. Antibiotics are not antipyretic. If the fever is caused by a bacterial infection, the antibiotics are given to kill the bacteria. Once this has happened, the temperature will go down by itself. In the absence of bacteria to kill, antibiotics will not affect your temperature.
However, you can say, "I'll take some paracetamol (acetaminophen) - or aspirin, or ibuprofen - to bring down my temperature; or I'll take a cool bath to lower my temperature.

Can we say "drop his temperature"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can we say "drop his temperature"?
You can.
We need to drop his temperature.
We need to get his temperature down.
We need to bring down his fever. (This might be a local variation)

You'll be understood whatever you say.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about:

I'll give him some medicine to lower his temperature.

sato

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan

When talking about temperature (as opposed to a falling object), the verb 'drop' is intransitive. The transitive equivalent is 'lower', so you can say "I'll give him some antibiotics to lower his temperature."

The phrasal verbs other have suggested (such as 'bring down') are also acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.