Question Splitting off a department

Hi friends,

could you please help me? I have a specific business question - I need a word to describe the separation of an individual division of a company as a subsidiary or an outsourcing organisation. Does the term "split off (a dept, a division, a service etc.)" suffice? Could you suggest something else ?

Re: Splitting off a department

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Cat
    Hi friends,

could you please help me? I have a specific business question - I need a word to describe the separation of an individual division of a company as a subsidiary or an outsourcing organisation. Does the term "split off (a dept, a division, a service etc.)" suffice? Could you suggest something else ?
    branch out?...

Hi friends,

or a split up...?

And what do you think of "split off"? Does it sound ok? "Branch out" is good, thanks, but the most important thing here is that the branch separated from the company is not actually a new branch, but an already good established structure, that had been previously a part of the company, and is separated as an independent organisation to reduce corporate costs. Does "branch out" fit this context? If it does I'll take it

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

In city where I work a number of segments inside an organization have been detached to own "profit centers"
    They are responsible for their own expenses and income

Yes, this sounds like my case So can I also use "detached" meaning "separated"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Sounds good to me, but then again I come from Finland

Thanks. Well, Finland is quite credible in my opinion, why not

And what do you think of "split off"? Does it sound ok? "Branch out" is good, thanks, but the most important thing here is that the branch separated from the company is not actually a new branch, but an already good established structure, that had been previously a part of the company, and is separated as an independent organisation to reduce corporate costs. Does "branch out" fit this context? If it does I'll take it
    I think it might. I am not terribly familiar with the business infrastructure but according to the dictionary a split off means a creation of a new and independent company through selling or distributing new shares for an existing part of another company. I think the new company needs a little boost of shares from the old company in order to become independent. Or something like that.....??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you want it to sound Americanized you can say "spin-off."