Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Do you ever say, "Let's go to the restaurant that newly opened in town," to a person who does not know that the restaurant newly opened.

If yes, is that because "the restaurant" is restricted by the succeeding relative clause (i.e., "that newly opened)?

Or do you say, "Let's go to a restaurant that newly opened in town."?

Similarly, do you say, "Replace the applet with a new one downloaded from the manufacturer's site" or "Replace.... the new one..."?

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you ever say, "Let's go to the restaurant that newly opened in town," to a person who does not know that the restaurant newly opened.

If yes, is that because "the restaurant" is restricted by the succeeding relative clause (i.e., "that newly opened)?

Or do you say, "Let's go to a restaurant that newly opened in town."?

Similarly, do you say, "Replace the applet with a new one downloaded from the manufacturer's site" or "Replace.... the new one..."?

"The" is used when there is a SPECIFIC restaurant or applet that is already known to exist. "A" is used when you do not know of a specific one, but you would like to look for one.

"Let's go to the newly opened restaurant" = My friend told me about this new place, let's go to it.
"Let's go to a newly opened restaurant" = I don't know if there is one, but I just want to try something new!

"a new one downloaded..." = any applet
"the new one downloaded" = I have already showed you which applet I am talking about.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"the new one downloaded" = I have already showed you which applet I am talking about.
Is "showed" the past participle for "to show" in American English? This is a genuine question, I don't know. In BrE it's "shown".

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I am, myself, a "shown" user as well.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.