Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

one of the comments posted on a magazine site says:

"You are doing a great (s)ervice to the nation. Just concerned that, too much information will drown the finer points that people must realize about the crony capitalist banana republic we seem to be."

Some background for those who might be interested: Many scams have come out this year in India and these tapes have conversations relating to one of them (the 2G spectrum scam regarding allocation of spectrum for mobile phones). These tapes, which were leaked, contain tapped conversations between a lobbyist and several politicians, businessmen and journalists, exposing a nexus and corruption among politicians and raising serious doubts about impartiality and professionalism of the journalists.

The definition of 'banana republic' is (from answers.com):

n.
A small country that is economically dependent on a single export commodity, such as bananas, and is typically governed by a dictator or the armed forces.

I am a bit confused about the usage of 'banana republic' in the comment above. Is there another meaning to 'banana republic'? I am not quite clear about what makes India look like a banana republic.

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That definition is a bit coloured by the origin of the phrase. In many uses today 'banana republic' refers not so much to reliance on a single export; what is more important is that a powerful external state needs its commodit(/ies), and so props it up financially. In that wider sense, it seems to me to make sense.

b

orangutan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Russian Federation
To me, "banana republic" also has overtones of a state that can't be taken seriously for whatever reason (e.g. bad organization). This isn't mentioned in the dictionary definition - maybe it is wrong, but I mention it for what it is worth.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for your responses.

Certainly there are several instances indicating 'bad organization', starting from the CWG (commonwealth games) which was a big scam that came out a few months ago.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your responses.

Certainly there are several instances indicating 'bad organization', starting from the CWG (commonwealth games) which was a big scam that came out a few months ago.
"Banana republic" is misapplied to India, no matter how disorganised the place is.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That definition is a bit coloured by the origin of the phrase. In many uses today 'banana republic' refers not so much to reliance on a single export; what is more important is that a powerful external state needs its commodit(/ies), and so props it up financially. In that wider sense, it seems to me to make sense.

b

Another feature would be that the external state would often interfere in the affairs of the banana republic, including installing and deposing leaders in order to ensure the continued operation of its interests (i.e. the banana companies).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

one of the comments posted on a magazine site says:

"You are doing a great (s)ervice to the nation. Just concerned that, too much information will drown the finer points that people must realize about the crony capitalist banana republic we seem to be."

Some background for those who might be interested: Many scams have come out this year in India and these tapes have conversations relating to one of them (the 2G spectrum scam regarding allocation of spectrum for mobile phones). These tapes, which were leaked, contain tapped conversations between a lobbyist and several politicians, businessmen and journalists, exposing a nexus and corruption among politicians and raising serious doubts about impartiality and professionalism of the journalists.

The definition of 'banana republic' is (from answers.com):
n.
A small country that is economically dependent on a single export commodity, such as bananas, and is typically governed by a dictator or the armed forces.

I am a bit confused about the usage of 'banana republic' in the comment above. Is there another meaning to 'banana republic'? I am not quite clear about what makes India look like a banana republic.

Thank you.

*** NOT A TEACHER ***

Olympian,

I googled "Is the United States becoming a banana republic?"

There were many interesting results. If you get time, you

may wish to check them out.

Thank you & have a nice day

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***
"Banana republic" is a derogatory term applied mostly to small Latin American countries whose totalitarian leaderships constantly change hands via coups d'etat. It doesn't have to reflect the actual facts about those countries, it's rather an image about them in some people's minds.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

"Banana republic" is a derogatory term applied mostly to small Latin American countries whose totalitarian leaderships constantly change hands via coups d'etat. It doesn't have to reflect the actual facts about those countries, it's rather an image about them in some people's minds.

This is correct. Bananas, of course, were and are a principle export of Latin America, but the meaning here is describing an unstable government.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It has lost it's original geographical associations and meaing to me- any country that is corrupt, badly governed, a pawn, etc, can be called a banana republic IMO. I think that because we use bananas to mean crazy, or call someone a banana to mean idiot, it has acquired those associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.