Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My question might seem odd to native speakers of English, but the problem is as follows: Iin Russian schools teachers of all subjects usually ask their pupils to entitle their notebooks like this:

Subject: English
Name: Ann Frolova
School: #102
Form: 6th "B"

Do English pupils write the information about themselves on their notebooks in a similar way? Could you correct or improve the above writing so that it looked more "English"?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My question might seem odd to native speakers of English, but the problem is as follows: Iin Russian schools teachers of all subjects usually ask their pupils to entitle their notebooks like this:

Subject: English
Name: Ann Frolova
School: #102
Form: 6th "B"

Do English pupils write the information about themselves on their notebooks in a similar way? Could you correct or improve the above writing so that it looked more "English"?

I think this is perfectly OK and you would find similar info on notebooks in American schools.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a bit sad if Russian schools only have numbers.

Ours all have names.

Rover

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, Russian schools only have numbers, though recently they started to add the type of school as well, like "gymnasium #23". Sometimes it's odd for native speakers to hear Russians say something like this: "I studied at school number 102" )) As far as I know, streets in USA also have numbers, not names, while in Russia we never number streets, only houses and buildings have numbers, streets are often named after famous people (writers, for example) or events, or similar to British cottages - Apricot Street (Abrikosovaya ulitsa).

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks to everyone for your very useful posts.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think what is typical for my kids is name, subject, teacher, and period

Ann Smith
American History
Mr. Boring
Third period

They already know what school they're in.

Some streets have numbers, especially in cities.

4949 102nd Street for example.

Outside of cities, most streets have names.

Where I live now it's common to name a street for the town it leads to. This is VERY confusing because as you get closer to that other city it changes names. So you're on the "West Chester Pike" heading toward West Chester, but if you leave from West Chester, you're on the "Downingtown Pike" heading toward Downingtown. Worse, the locals all call it that, but the map calls it "Route 322." I got lost a lot when I moved here trying to follow people's verbal directions.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That's interesting. I also think that the way they name some streets in the USA you've described is not convenient for a foreigner. I thought Russians were the champions in confusing foreigners from all over the world))), but as far as names of streets are concerned, things are more or less all right, leaving out the fact that, since the Soviet period, names of streets coincide in many cities (there is always a Lenin Street or Lenin Square, you'll find Kosmonavtov Street almost in every city etc. But usually people are not confused about it, as everyone usually knows what city they are in (there is a very popular Russian comedy shown on Russian TV every Christmas (New Year) about a man who by mistake got into another city, thinking he was in his own. He found his street by name and his block of flats by number, the building looked like the one he lived in in another city and so on. It' a funny comedy for all Russians, called "S legkim parom"))

Status
Not open for further replies.