Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 309
    #1

    What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    Dear all,

    What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    '' Reagan’s “seemingly slapdash Islamic pudding turned out after all to have a theme,” says Bacevich ''

    see paragraph # 10

    In short, by the time Reagan departed office, “the skids had been greased: the national security bureaucracy was well on its way to embracing a highly militarized conception of how to deal with the challenges posed by the Middle East.” Reagan’s “seemingly slapdash Islamic pudding turned out after all to have a theme,” says Bacevich


    OpEdNews - Article: Bush "Preventive War" Doctrine Fails In Iraq

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 51
    #2

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    'Pudding' is a synonym for 'dessert' - the last course of a meal.
    My guess is that they are using the word metaphorically to mean an action near the end of his presidency, or near the end of some other larger action.

  1. Johnson_F's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 195
    #3

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sato View Post
    'Pudding' is a synonym for 'dessert' - the last course of a meal.
    My guess is that they are using the word metaphorically to mean an action near the end of his presidency, or near the end of some other larger action.
    You could be right, sato, though I believe that it has the idea of 'a mixture of all sorts of ingredients (=ideas)'. It could have been described in this way because people thought that there was no consistent idea behind it. Now, however, it has ' turned out after all to have a theme'

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,815
    #4

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    From the article, I think it's more the idea of him appearing to throw things together rather than the timing.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson_F View Post
    You could be right, sato, though I believe that it has the idea of 'a mixture of all sorts of ingredients (=ideas)'. It could have been described in this way because people thought that there was no consistent idea behind it. Now, however, it has ' turned out after all to have a theme'
    Another expression he might have used is the Yiddish 'mish-mash' (mispronounced, of course, in Br English, with an /ć/).

    b

  3. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #6

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    In AmE, "pudding" is a very specific dessert item, it is not used to generically describe the dessert course as it is in BrE. So I agree that in this case "pudding" refers to the mixture of ingredients (or policies/tactics, in this case) rather than the timing.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In AmE, "pudding" is a very specific dessert item, it is not used to generically describe the dessert course as it is in BrE. So I agree that in this case "pudding" refers to the mixture of ingredients (or policies/tactics, in this case) rather than the timing.
    That usage is dying out in Br Eng. My generation use it, but not my children. As often, Australian English, while vibrant and innovative in many ways, is quite conservative in others.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 51
    #8

    Re: What is pudding in this sentence / context ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That usage is dying out in Br Eng. My generation use it, but not my children.
    I think BobK makes an additional point with that. The original question was regarding a description of the policies of President Reagan, so we need to be mindful not of current use of the word 'pudding' but the way it was used in the time of Reagan.

    I'm interested to hear from some of our American commenters, what exactly is pudding? In Australia it's similar to a cake, but full of dried fruit, and usually served hot. In Japan it's a smooth, creamy dessert, like custard.

Similar Threads

  1. Pudding (question about UK usage)
    By jackolantern in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2009, 03:09
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2008, 18:41
  3. Does that sentence make sense (in and out of context)
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2007, 06:11
  4. meaning of the word in the context of the sentence
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2007, 11:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •